Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Si, Gorehound, SickThings, Devon, Shoesalesman

User avatar
evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 543
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:21 am

Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by evil syd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Sorry, but seeing a brilliant musician/performer like the Coop and Willie Wonka singing cover tunes just doesn't excite me. To me, the band should be called "Running out of ideas". :devil:
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 917
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:21 pm

I call it being 70 years old, and after 50 years of the ups and downs and the pressures of the music business to finally relax and do whatever the makes you happy!

Alice has given us enough "ideas" over the years for us to enjoy until we all die. I couldn't blame him if the well went dry or he no longer cares.

I'm no fan of the HV but Alice has earned the right to do whatever he wants to do and you as a fan are free to bitch about it and not support it.

I'm hoping next year he adds Wayne Newton to the line-up just to further piss you off!

killer wolf
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:26 am
Location: newcastle

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by killer wolf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 am

well thanks for sharing.
KW
/X\oo/X\

nurserozetta
Killer
Killer
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by nurserozetta » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:17 am

evil syd wrote:Sorry, but seeing a brilliant musician/performer like the Coop and Willie Wonka singing cover tunes just doesn't excite me. To me, the band should be called "Running out of ideas". :devil:
Wrong - have you see the Vampires in concert?

Totally disagree at this point I'd rather see the HV than another rehash of whatever show Alice is currently touring with . The HV is a great idea for Alice at this stage of his career

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:33 am
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Contact:

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by ThePainAddict » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:31 pm

I agree in large part with Syd. As I have said before this is the worst thing since Flash, and I'd even rank it below that. A vanity project for Depp. I really can't believe people raving about his guitar playing. Definitely serviceable, but nothing more than any average bar band. Sure Alice has a "right" to do anything he wants. I just don't understand what any Alice fan is getting out of it. If this was a one-off gig I could understand, but not this level of investment (multiple tours and lps).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by Holly Grail » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Well doing covers maybe seems boring for some fans , thats ok . But “no ideas” , well... NO . Don’t forget that you are talking about a 70 year old rocker with a decent album in 2017 (Paranormal) and allready preparing his next with HV. Cause when we talk about ideas , the most difficult part is to produce solid song ideas. Thanks god he is still doing it.

del
Killer
Killer
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by del » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:25 pm

You pay your money and take your choice. I'd rather watch Alice live enjoying himself and trying something different (ie. NEW) than buy the latest blue/green whatever version of stuff that is 40+ years old and that I've already got at home.

The business model is simple to me. Alice and Joe get to break out a little and with a ready made different crowd to get things started. JD gets an easy entry to make one of his dreams come true. It doesn't look like a forced marriage at all as they seem to gel fairly well on stage and we are only talking about a band with not too many gigs under its belt after all.

It could have backfired immediately but it hasn't. I couldn't understand why myself initially but having made the effort to take a look for myself I actually get it.

If this has real legs in it then all I will do is be delighted for Alice, Joe and JD.

VinceLeeRose
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by VinceLeeRose » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:20 pm

I’ll back anything Alice does as long as it doesn’t involve Nita Strauss

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3487
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Looking at footage on line its hard to tell what Depp is actually playing. I have no idea how good he is. It would be very interesting to see if they drop the covers if they play live again. I doubt they will.

Live, Alice ran out of ideas years ago both in the choice of songs and the creaking stage act. The original band re-union at least gave us the chance to hear the songs close to how they originally sounded. His touring bands just over play them with the three guitar nonsense.

del
Killer
Killer
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by del » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 am

I like the current band for Alice. They have the (relative) youth and experience to keep the energy level high and I certainly don't think they overplay things.This is 2018 and doing it the old way would have killed the career years ago imo.

While I loved the old band last year I felt it was just enough to remind me of the golden era and not too much to appear to be an attempt to make it happen again. I'd be as apprehensive as hell if that was rekindled for any length of time.

HV is a new idea for Alice and is clearly based on a business case that benefits everyone. The fact that we don't know exactly how it will develop interests me a lot.

It's great, inspirational even, to see a guy doing such a variety of things at this age.

In the last couple of years we've had Peter and the Wolf, Herod, HV, the original band and Paranormal. All on top of the usual touring, radio show, charity work. Oh, and family!

You don't need to like everything but you should certainly respect anyone who leads such a interesting and varied life.

Some of us seem to cherish the past so much that we forget it wasnt perfect and criticise just about anything that happens. It's an age thing that I am fed up with myself and I find I have a much better life looking forward and enjoying trying ew things, even if they don't always work.

Keep it going Alice, it keeps you young!

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:20 am

del wrote:I like the current band for Alice. They have the (relative) youth and experience to keep the energy level high and I certainly don't think they overplay things.This is 2018 and doing it the old way would have killed the career years ago imo.

While I loved the old band last year I felt it was just enough to remind me of the golden era and not too much to appear to be an attempt to make it happen again. I'd be as apprehensive as hell if that was rekindled for any length of time.

HV is a new idea for Alice and is clearly based on a business case that benefits everyone. The fact that we don't know exactly how it will develop interests me a lot.

It's great, inspirational even, to see a guy doing such a variety of things at this age.

In the last couple of years we've had Peter and the Wolf, Herod, HV, the original band and Paranormal. All on top of the usual touring, radio show, charity work. Oh, and family!

You don't need to like everything but you should certainly respect anyone who leads such a interesting and varied life.

Some of us seem to cherish the past so much that we forget it wasnt perfect and criticise just about anything that happens. It's an age thing that I am fed up with myself and I find I have a much better life looking forward and enjoying trying ew things, even if they don't always work.

Keep it going Alice, it keeps you young!
Nice post :)

User avatar
patrick
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by patrick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:43 am

indeed nice post .
there was a time when on this list someone said that even if Alice would read out loud from the telephone book, he'd buy it :).
I for one love the fact that Alice has been in my world since 1972 or something and only now and then , occasionally, produced something that wasn't up to what I expect from him. But mostly after a while I came to like it anyway ( one exception but I won't stirr up emotions again :) )
So I stand with the conclusion of the previous post !
you really wouldn't understand..

Maaki
Killer
Killer
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by Maaki » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am

del wrote:I like the current band for Alice. They have the (relative) youth and experience to keep the energy level high and I certainly don't think they overplay things.This is 2018 and doing it the old way would have killed the career years ago imo.

While I loved the old band last year I felt it was just enough to remind me of the golden era and not too much to appear to be an attempt to make it happen again. I'd be as apprehensive as hell if that was rekindled for any length of time.

HV is a new idea for Alice and is clearly based on a business case that benefits everyone. The fact that we don't know exactly how it will develop interests me a lot.

It's great, inspirational even, to see a guy doing such a variety of things at this age.

In the last couple of years we've had Peter and the Wolf, Herod, HV, the original band and Paranormal. All on top of the usual touring, radio show, charity work. Oh, and family!

You don't need to like everything but you should certainly respect anyone who leads such a interesting and varied life.

Some of us seem to cherish the past so much that we forget it wasnt perfect and criticise just about anything that happens. It's an age thing that I am fed up with myself and I find I have a much better life looking forward and enjoying trying ew things, even if they don't always work.

Keep it going Alice, it keeps you young!
Good post!

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:11 am

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:02 am

I’m not a fan of the covers show, and I wouldn’t buy the album or go to the show as it is. If they stick to playing mostly cover, I will definitely still continue to stay away. I have no desire to watch a cover band even if it is made up of two of my favorite musicians. It just doesn’t intersst me nor is it creative at all. That being said, I am glad that there are people enjoying it, and I don’t have an issue with Alice, Joe, or Johnny doing it if that is what they desire to do.

Personally though, I am hoping that since Aerosmith has no plans to release anything that Joe and Johnny have worked together to write some new music. I don’t know if that is the case, but if they did end up with an album of originals and a tour focused on originals, I’d go check it out. After the last two solo albums and HV album though, I definitely will not be buying anything unless there is a drastic change.

Johnny also is not a bad musician. A lot of guitar players have gotten farther on less chops.

Saint&Sinner
Killer
Killer
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:07 pm

I’ll back anything Alice does as long as it doesn’t involve Nita Strauss
Wow.
i definitely don't want what ever you are taking! hahaha

Apart from the obvious nita is amazing response to the above. Hollywood vampires holds no interest for me. As alice said its a bar band, playing covers that you pay full prince for (this holds no interest for me)
But alice clearly is having fun, people seem to be enjoying it so why not?
Id rather see a new alice album with the above mentioned nita shredding on it but if he is happy who cares? Do i get the attraction, hell no.
But if people like it, i leave it with um.

cooperrocks
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:42 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:56 pm

First, let me say anything the great Nita Strauss is involved in, I am buying. I can't wait for her solo album and I love what she has brought to Alice's band and I hope they do an album together as I miss the soaring guitar solos, etc.

I don't have a ton of interest in the Hollywood Vampires project either but the fact is they are drawing big crowds. The occasional show is fine but that's about it for me but that is a matter of preference.

I just wish Alice would open up his setlist more in his solo shows and I know that has been discussed many times. Personally I think his current band is the best of his career and I know this isn't popular here but that includes the great original band. I love the current lineup.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:56 pm

I have nothing against HV. But, the way I see it, it's not a band, just a big fan club, in fact, 3 fan's clubs. The fan club of Alice, the fan club of Joe and the biggest of all, the fan club of Johnny Depp. In my opinion, people go to see Alice, Joe or Johnny, not the HV band. Actually, real fans of the HV band, for the band itself, and not each individual artist, must be rare.

User avatar
Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: 340 Sanitarium

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Rhapsody of Fire wrote:I have nothing against HV. But, the way I see it, it's not a band, just a big fan club, in fact, 3 fan's clubs. The fan club of Alice, the fan club of Joe and the biggest of all, the fan club of Johnny Depp. In my opinion, people go to see Alice, Joe or Johnny, not the HV band. Actually, real fans of the HV band, for the band itself, and not each individual artist, must be rare.
Actually, that's quite astute.
If it was just Joe & Johnny & say Axl Rose (or someone less obtuse) - I chose him because he's been subbing for Brian J. recently. The band might not even been on my Radar. Covers are what help you get your foot in the door. Even Aerosmith did a one-off called "Honkin' On Bobo". But, for most artists that's a release when they've run out of ideas or a contractual obligation. I like the original HV album but it should have more original compositions on the next or it will be redundant & boring.
It's not like they're taking it to the next level with the covers - the covers are pretty much straight forward.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3487
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:41 pm

cooperrocks wrote:First, let me say anything the great Nita Strauss is involved in, I am buying. I can't wait for her solo album and I love what she has brought to Alice's band and I hope they do an album together as I miss the soaring guitar solos, etc.

I don't have a ton of interest in the Hollywood Vampires project either but the fact is they are drawing big crowds. The occasional show is fine but that's about it for me but that is a matter of preference.

I just wish Alice would open up his setlist more in his solo shows and I know that has been discussed many times. Personally I think his current band is the best of his career and I know this isn't popular here but that includes the great original band. I love the current lineup.

Has Nita Strauss even been in a studio? I cant find her discography.

VinceLeeRose
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Sorry,....Hollywood Vampires....

Post by VinceLeeRose » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 am

pitkin88 wrote:
cooperrocks wrote:First, let me say anything the great Nita Strauss is involved in, I am buying. I can't wait for her solo album and I love what she has brought to Alice's band and I hope they do an album together as I miss the soaring guitar solos, etc.

I don't have a ton of interest in the Hollywood Vampires project either but the fact is they are drawing big crowds. The occasional show is fine but that's about it for me but that is a matter of preference.

I just wish Alice would open up his setlist more in his solo shows and I know that has been discussed many times. Personally I think his current band is the best of his career and I know this isn't popular here but that includes the great original band. I love the current lineup.

Has Nita Strauss even been in a studio? I cant find her discography.
She is in some band called We Start Wars that has a pretty subpar song out - other than that I'm sure there are some YouTube videos of her playing Number of the Beast and The Trooper :yawn:

I don't get the fascination - she was a major step down from Orianthi, who actually DOES have some songwriting credits to her name. Alice has a very talented solo band that just seems to get tighter and tighter, but they tried this experiment before with Eyes and Diamonds, and both were only so-so. I'd like to see a full studio album from Alice Cooper, the BAND. Dennis Dunaway's contributions to Paranormal were amazing. It's like they use the original band just enough but then keep them under the radar

Post Reply