Let me dream god damn it!

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Wembley Gig- how did it go?

Post by mestreech » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:09 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From ElectedPlus:
"How that would work to a DVD release"

I think it might be available online only but I'm not sure.
I prefer always a blu ray but any release will make me happy.

E_maniac
Trash
Trash

Post by E_maniac » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 am

If they did a 360 degree filmed version of that gig for VR then the crowd will not give much entertainment - a far cry from the 1986 Detroit nightmare returns crowd!
I honestly had a miserable time considering the setlist was great and the band themselves seemed to be rocking it.
Obviously because of my hideous seats I had a good view of the crowd, whenever I looked over it was just static with literal pockets of people with an arm in the air. Just depressing, why would you choose a seated floor gig? it makes zero sense to me.

Also as a side note, the tubes didn't impress me one bit. Harmless enough but didn't do anything for me.
The mission I actually like the first 4 or 5 albums and they were just terrible. I mean who plays butterfly on a wheel for a support set!?
Tower of strength went ok (the opener) but it all seemed downhill from there. He didn't seem to want to be there either tho tbh.

The whole bill made no sense to me, the bands just seemed to have no cross over appeal at all.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 am

E_maniac wrote: why would you choose a seated floor gig? it makes zero sense to me.

The promoters decided that. Apparently it makes more money. Very few people were happy about it. Personally Wembley was terrible for me, but it was nothing to do with the band. Spent most of the show looking at the side of a stewards head while he pointedly didn`t do his job. He didn`t have a clue what he was supposed to be doing (which he actually said when I confronted him after the show) and because of that completely ruined the show for a lot of people around him.
E_maniac wrote: Also as a side note, the tubes didn't impress me one bit. Harmless enough but didn't do anything for me.
I'm a big Tubes fan, but really you didn`t see them at their best IMHO and I can see how you would feel that way. All I can say is if they headline near you, give them another chance.
E_maniac wrote: The whole bill made no sense to me, the bands just seemed to have no cross over appeal at all.
I believe the idea was to kinda show two sides of Alice Coopers "legacy" for want of a better word. The Tubes for the theatrical oddball side, and The Mission for the gothic side. I think they would have been better dumping the Mission completely and giving The Tubes and hour so they could actually show more of what they do. But then as I said above, I'm a fan haha

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Regarding the FT review of the Wembley show...

I thought it was generally quite harsh but I feel they made a reasonably valid point about how the show translated to the arena circuit.

From my lofty perch at another of the venues (The SSE Hydro in Glasgow), you didn't feel quite as absorbed in the moment than you would at a more commonly-used Alice venue. To truly reach people in 'Row ZZ' you need to upscale your show accordingly otherwise it dilutes a little.

A case in point (and I take no pleasure in saying this) but Motley Crew's stage production absolutely blew Alice's away at the same venue in London a few years before. They absolutely sucked sonically for a number of reasons but they had massive fireworks and a drumset that looked like it came from Alton Towers!

I'm not saying Alice should even consider do this but I think the ambition of his production is better and quite rightly matched to the likes of The Roundhouse and Hammersmith Apollo than Wembley Arena. I hope that never changes and that we seem him at those places again soon.

That said, watching gigs from distant vantage points has its own merits and it's great to see how the audience is reacting to the set list and some of the behind-the-scenes things that you're not always meant to see as a fee-paying spectator.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order