Where are the Promotions people?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Where are the Promotions people?

Post by Dannorama » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:03 pm

We are coming into April, for land's sakes. (sic) It is time for solid news. Some would say that certain bands give far too much advance notice for their releases. It occurs to me that this a great method for connecting the audience with the date. It is a sweet feeling - paying off all of that anticipation. Not only that, but it happens on the date that you've had your eye on.

Let's have some news. A title would be nice. If they need help in Promotions, then please consider this to be my official application. I have local experience.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Where are the Promotions people?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:18 pm

From Dannorama:
"It is time for solid news."

Why? How do you know the album is even finished yet or if it has been decided who is going to release it?

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:29 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Dannorama:

Why? How do you know the album is even finished yet or if it has been decided who is going to release it?
I don't know, and that's my frustrated point. The lack of solid info creates a vacuum in which crazy theories flourish. Crazy theories can lead to disappointment, so they should get in front of that. As to who will release it, wouldn't a little fire of support fuel a bigger response from record companies? My guess is a little advance groundswell would be just the ticket.

It has been 6 years since W2MN, and the only news of a new album has been limited to a few unofficially dangled carrots. These days, an obvious assault is the best approach to building momentum.

AC has a captive audience who will buy almost everything with his name on it. According to Wikipedia, W2MN sold 18,000 units during the first week. I'll bet they want to do better than that. Wouldn't it make sense to appeal to a larger market? They spent how many months supporting Motley Crue? I'll bet that a good number of that crowd would buy a new record. So...? Tell them about it.

It seems like that Motley Crue tour was a long time ago, but it is still within the time space between the last studio album and the next. Thus the request for some solid news. Start a little fire. Even if it's smoldering for months, it's better than nothing. How can anyone argue with that?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:32 am

Dannorama wrote: AC has a captive audience who will buy almost everything with his name on it. According to Wikipedia, W2MN sold 18,000 units during the first week.
You should ignore that figure. The album was released first in the Classic Rock magazine pack a month before, sales of which aren`t included in that number. Most fans had the album (by which I mean real copies not downloaded ones) before it's official release date via that route, even in the US where they could just order it from the UK if their local store didn`t have copies..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:35 am

From Dannorama:
"I don't know, and that's my frustrated point."

What is so frustrating? Why is it so important? There will be information when there is information to release.

> The lack of solid info creates a vacuum in which crazy theories flourish.

That is the fault of those who start the "crazy theories".

>Crazy theories can lead to disappointment,

That isn't the artist's problem though. I don't understand why there is this sense of entitlement.

>As to who will release it, wouldn't a little fire of support fuel a bigger response from record companies? My guess is a little advance groundswell would be just the ticket.

I think you're being a bit melodramatic.

>It has been 6 years since W2MN, and the only news of a new album has been limited to a few unofficially dangled carrots. These days, an obvious assault is the best approach to building momentum.

I totally disagree. The rise of the internet has shown that there are alternatives. People consume their entertainment in different ways. You know all this.

>AC has a captive audience who will buy almost everything with his name on it.

How big is it though?

> According to Wikipedia,

As we know, that site is NEVER wrong.

> So...? Tell them about it.

"Tell them" what?!

> Even if it's smoldering for months, it's better than nothing. How can anyone argue with that?

I think you're making the mistake of thinking that there are millions of people around the world sitting on the edges of their seats and waiting for the new album. Things have changed.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 am

Dannorama wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:From Dannorama:

I don't know, and that's my frustrated point. The lack of solid info creates a vacuum in which crazy theories flourish. Crazy theories can lead to disappointment, so they should get in front of that. As to who will release it, wouldn't a little fire of support fuel a bigger response from record companies? My guess is a little advance groundswell would be just the ticket.

It has been 6 years since W2MN, and the only news of a new album has been limited to a few unofficially dangled carrots. These days, an obvious assault is the best approach to building momentum.

AC has a captive audience who will buy almost everything with his name on it. According to Wikipedia, W2MN sold 18,000 units during the first week. I'll bet they want to do better than that. Wouldn't it make sense to appeal to a larger market? They spent how many months supporting Motley Crue? I'll bet that a good number of that crowd would buy a new record. So...? Tell them about it.

It seems like that Motley Crue tour was a long time ago, but it is still within the time space between the last studio album and the next. Thus the request for some solid news. Start a little fire. Even if it's smoldering for months, it's better than nothing. How can anyone argue with that?
Dannoramma has a valid point. The frustration comes from a six year recording hiatus and then very little information! I thought that would have been obvious. It's very normal for a fan to be frustrated when their favourite artist hasn't released anything (HV not withstanding) in so long. Anyone who has done any form of marketing knows the number one rule is to build some momentum! Drip feeding information is the perfect way to build excitement. If the album isn't finished then say that but give a little tease about the songs already done! Personnel involved, just drip it out.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:09 pm

dadascot wrote: Dannoramma has a valid point. The frustration comes from a six year recording hiatus and then very little information! I thought that would have been obvious. It's very normal for a fan to be frustrated when their favourite artist hasn't released anything (HV not withstanding) in so long. Anyone who has done any form of marketing knows the number one rule is to build some momentum! Drip feeding information is the perfect way to build excitement. If the album isn't finished then say that but give a little tease about the songs already done! Personnel involved, just drip it out.
Just for a little perspective.. do you remember the time before the Internet when sometimes the first we knew of a new album was seeing it in a shop?

Lets think about what we know.
1. There IS a new album on the way (two if you count the Vampires one)
2. It should be out this year, possible in just a few months, or maybe for teh UK dates (depending on what's been said)
3. The original band wrote and recorded stuff for it, and it seems likely at least some of that stuff will be on the album.
4. Bob Ezrin is producing

I question what knowing the title of the album or song titles will do? You still won`t know what it sounds like.
And while I agree that building momentum is great, you also have to time it right. To early and everything could end up being wrong.

I'm not saying it isn`t nice to know these things, but we will know when we know. It's quite possible the final title/running order/cover art etc hasn`t even been decided yet. They can`t release info they don`t have, especially if it may change (been there before). The info you want may not actually exist yet.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks for seeing my point, Dadascot. To discuss some of your points, Andy...

A: What is so frustrating? Why is it so important?
D: It's not, really. However, even if it's not huge, there is information that could be shared right now. That's what makes me ask the title question. Dadascot gets it.

A: That isn't the artist's problem though.
D: Never said it was. Thus, the title question. Also, entitlement? Like they owe me? No, that is not the spirit that I intended - sorry if I came off like that. I'd say "interest." One bit of official word would be welcome - even if it's far-ranging.

A: The rise of the internet has shown that there are alternatives. People consume their entertainment in different ways. You know all this.
D: Promotions are elemental in selling things. That's why I come here - The Largest Unofficial Alice Cooper News and Information Source - in the first place. Dennis dropped a little here, Alice said a little there... but really, that's not promotion. Thus, again, the title question.

A: As we know, that site (Wikipedia) is NEVER wrong.
D: To yours and Si's points, I do not disagree. It's what's out there, though. Maybe some Promotions people ought to get in there and correct the info...?

A: I think you're making the mistake of thinking that there are millions of people around the world sitting on the edges of their seats and waiting for the new album. Things have changed.
D: No mistake on my part. It is for that very reason that the Promotions people need to get cracking. Time's a-wasting!

Really - What's wrong with asking for some official news? That's what this thread is about.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Si wrote:
dadascot wrote: Dannoramma has a valid point. The frustration comes from a six year recording hiatus and then very little information! I thought that would have been obvious. It's very normal for a fan to be frustrated when their favourite artist hasn't released anything (HV not withstanding) in so long. Anyone who has done any form of marketing knows the number one rule is to build some momentum! Drip feeding information is the perfect way to build excitement. If the album isn't finished then say that but give a little tease about the songs already done! Personnel involved, just drip it out.
Just for a little perspective.. do you remember the time before the Internet when sometimes the first we knew of a new album was seeing it in a shop?

Lets think about what we know.
1. There IS a new album on the way (two if you count the Vampires one)
2. It should be out this year, possible in just a few months, or maybe for teh UK dates (depending on what's been said)
3. The original band wrote and recorded stuff for it, and it seems likely at least some of that stuff will be on the album.
4. Bob Ezrin is producing

I question what knowing the title of the album or song titles will do? You still won`t know what it sounds like.
And while I agree that building momentum is great, you also have to time it right. To early and everything could end up being wrong.

I'm not saying it isn`t nice to know these things, but we will know when we know. It's quite possible the final title/running order/cover art etc hasn`t even been decided yet. They can`t release info they don`t have, especially if it may change (been there before). The info you want may not actually exist yet.

Very nicely put, Si! I will continue to visit here daily while we all wait for official word.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Another thing to keep in mind when talking about "promotions people". Who are they ? Maybe a final deal hasn`t been signed to release the record, in which case there ARE no "promotions people" yet!
It would be the record companies job to handle adverts etc.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:20 pm

I don't quite understand why some people are so 'desperate' for a new record. It's not like there aren't enough AC albums already. Post-'BP', 'duds' have outnumbered 'goods'; the odds on a newie being 'killer' then, aren't that great.

As for promotion, well look at all the drip-drip hype regarding 'HVs'; a record that most STs ended up saying 'meh', rather than 'yeah', when they finally heard it.

Whenever the album's released, I'll give it a few listens on Spotify, then decide whether it's worth buying on merit; not for old time's sake. (I'd rather spend my money on new music, by new acts, these days anyway.)

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:55 pm

From Dadascot:
"Dannoramma has a valid point. The frustration comes from a six year recording hiatus and then very little information!"

You really do sound like self - entitled babies which I would understand if this were 1973 and you were teenagers but this is a completely different situation. Were David Bowie fans crying about the lack of an album before "The Next Day" was released?

>It's very normal for a fan to be frustrated when their favourite artist hasn't released anything (HV not withstanding) in so long.

I don't think it is. I think it is appropriate to be curious but frustration is being melodramatic and there is nothing you could learn now that is going to make any difference to whether it's a good album or not.

>Anyone who has done any form of marketing knows the number one rule is to build some momentum!

You are living in the past as the rise of online distribution has shown (and indeed "The Next Day" as well). With the exception of some artists, the days of mass, saturation coverage are over. Not enough people care anymore because the world has changed.

>If the album isn't finished then say that but give a little tease about the songs already done! Personnel involved, just drip it out.

Why? What difference will it make to the few people who care?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:59 pm

From Si:
"I question what knowing the title of the album or song titles will do? You still won`t know what it sounds like."

Exactly.

>And while I agree that building momentum is great, you also have to time it right. To early and everything could end up being wrong.

Exactly. What difference would it make to know something now as opposed to a bit later on when there is more to know?

> The info you want may not actually exist yet.

Exactly. I have some details (as I suspect a few other people here might as well) about the album, but they are nothing that are going to make any difference.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:09 pm

From Dannorama:
D: It's not, really.

Your first post would indicate otherwise.

>However, even if it's not huge, there is information that could be shared right now. That's what makes me ask the title question.

Again, it would make no difference.

>D: Never said it was. Thus, the title question. Also, entitlement? Like they owe me? No, that is not the spirit that I intended -

I have to admit, your post didn't come across as something you would have previously posted, which is why I was slightly surprised by it.

>sorry if I came off like that.

No problem at all.

> I'd say "interest."

Yes, more information would be interesting but right now, that really is all it would be.

>but really, that's not promotion. Thus, again, the title question.

As I stated, there may not be anyone set to release it.

> Maybe some Promotions people ought to get in there and correct the info...?

Possibly so, but they could be spending their time more productively like promoting the artists that are currently on their schedules.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:59 pm

A new album, maybe two with Vampires? Fantastic that Alice is still giving us music. I'll wait... and anticipation will build in the interim.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

tommycooper
Trash
Trash

Post by tommycooper » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:31 am

I still have sympathy for dadascot and Dannorama. I absolutely understand the business logic of all of Si and Andy's points- but when it comes to Alice I don't always want to think in terms of what's best from the accountant's perspective before I express an opinion. At his concerts I am transported quite some way from the suited day job and that extends to any news about a new album. Maybe it is immature to want to hear near news before the people who know best choose to release it, but if I never wanted to indulge in at least a little immaturity, I probably wouldn't listen to or go see Alice at all!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:03 pm

tommycooper wrote:I still have sympathy for dadascot and Dannorama. I absolutely understand the business logic of all of Si and Andy's points- but when it comes to Alice I don't always want to think in terms of what's best from the accountant's perspective before I express an opinion. At his concerts I am transported quite some way from the suited day job and that extends to any news about a new album. Maybe it is immature to want to hear near news before the people who know best choose to release it, but if I never wanted to indulge in at least a little immaturity, I probably wouldn't listen to or go see Alice at all!
You. I like you.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:40 pm

concolz wrote:I don't quite understand why some people are so 'desperate' for a new record. It's not like there aren't enough AC albums already. Post-'BP', 'duds' have outnumbered 'goods'; the odds on a newie being 'killer' then, aren't that great.

As for promotion, well look at all the drip-drip hype regarding 'HVs'; a record that most STs ended up saying 'meh', rather than 'yeah', when they finally heard it.

Whenever the album's released, I'll give it a few listens on Spotify, then decide whether it's worth buying on merit; not for old time's sake. (I'd rather spend my money on new music, by new acts, these days anyway.)
I see your point.

However, it is a personal perspective and while as such it needs to be respected, please try to understand that there are quite a few opinions there and YMMV.

I will not hesitate to buy new records. I hope it's great and I am pretty confident it will be at least good - for my own tastes.

Records are cheap. If Alice made a rap record, I would still buy it. But again that is just me.

I totally and completely get the anticipation and I am feeling it. I am also waiting for the bands' record with anticipation. HV - meh. I will buy it because Alice, but I don't have much faith in it. Depp has really started to annoy me, anyway.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:50 pm

From tommycooper:
"but when it comes to Alice I don't always want to think in terms of what's best from the accountant's perspective before I express an opinion."

That is the real world though.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Nice one Tommy, me neither