An eighties classic

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

An eighties classic

Post by dadascot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:57 pm

ok i am a bit bored. I recently read an interview where Alice said that he would like to re-visit some of his early 80's albums and re-record some songs, so it got me thinking...i personally love a lot of Alice's work on these four albums but what if we could have one album from that era? If you could have just one album cut from the four albums what tracks would you choose as your favourite twelve or fourteen tracks and put them into what you think would be the best running order. Have fun.

who do you think we are?
model citizen
clones
prettiest cop on the block
pain
Pass the gun around
Grim facts
you're a movie
da da
former lee warmer
scarlet and sheba
i love America
better be good
i am the future

i think that this would be a classic album but perhaps you have a different list.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Re: An eighties classic

Post by concolz » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Great - makes a change from Motley bleeding Crue! I'll go the whole hog - pretend it's a WB's compilation, complete with title and cover artwork!!

Album title: Fears Of A Clown

Cover: Dali's 'Le visage de la guerre' http://goo.gl/kn6HSc

Side One (Up)
Who Do You Think You Are
Seven And Seven Is
For Britain Only*
Clones
Identity Crises*
Under My Wheels ('82)*

Side Two (Down)
Dada
Enough's Enough
Former Lee Warmer
Pain
Scarlet And Sheba
Pass The Gun Around

(*Cheating somewhat, but they fit like a glove!)

Haven't chosen my absolute favourites here; instead thought about what a 'killer' album would sound like. Side one - three kickass rockers, then a touch of left-field quirkiness, a taut stripped-back rocker, finishing with a blistering live 'UMW'. Phew! Side two - speaks for itself!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:29 pm

concolz wrote:Great - makes a change from Motley bleeding Crue! I'll go the whole hog - pretend it's a WB's compilation, complete with title and cover artwork!!

Side One (Up)
Who Do You Think You Are
Seven And Seven Is
For Britain Only*
Clones
Identity Crises*
Under My Wheels ('82)*

Side Two (Down)
Dada
Enough's Enough
Former Lee Warmer
Pain
Scarlet And Sheba
Pass The Gun Around

Haven't chosen my absolute favourites here; instead thought about what a 'killer' album would sound like. Side one - three kickass rockers, then a touch of left-field quirkiness, a taut stripped-back rocker, finishing with a blistering live 'UMW'. Phew! Side two - speaks for itself!
fears of a clown......Brilliant title. I think that your line up and track listings are superb, especially as i was present at the recording of 'under my wheels live'. Having said that i really would miss 'model citizen'.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Wasn`t the original question about *re-recording* the songs? If so a live version would be a little redundant? We have tons of live versions of UMW.

Personally I wouldn`t mind hearing re-recordings of almost any songs from the first three 80s albums but I don`t see any need to touch 'Dada' haha

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:07 am

I'd rather have the first two albums re done.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:08 am

Er, I seem to have chosen the 'parallel universe' version for my first track - it's obviously 'We' not 'You'. Lol!!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:31 am

concolz wrote:Great - makes a change from Motley bleeding Crue! I'll go the whole hog - pretend it's a WB's compilation, complete with title and cover artwork!!

Side One (Up)
Who Do You Think You Are
Seven And Seven Is
For Britain Only*
Clones
Identity Crises*
Under My Wheels ('82)*

Side Two (Down)
Dada
Enough's Enough
Former Lee Warmer
Pain
Scarlet And Sheba
Pass The Gun Around

that's a very good compilation

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:47 am

I don't think there is a need to re-record any of those albums as they are fine just the way they are.

Flsuh The Fashion is one of his best sounding albums and there isn't anything wrong at all with Roy Thomas Baker's production.

As far as Special Forces is concerned, it too sounds great but could use a few minor tweaks, namely getting rid of "You Want It You Got It". Also, "You Look Good In Rags" could stand to lose the "rag rag" bit near the end.

Zipper could be a much tighter album if they were able to stay with the original tone and direction for the album. I know everybody genrally hates "No Baloney Homosapiens" but I think if that song was recorded properly and shortened a bit it could be a GREAT song!

Dada is his masterpiece--no need to touch a thing. I'd just like to see him perform Scarlet & Sheba and Fresh Blood live.

But I'll play.

Who Do You Thing We Are? (single version)
Clones
Grim Facts
Fresh Blood
For Britain Only
Vicious Rumors
Headlines
You Look Good In Rags
I Like Girls
Seven & Seven Is
Model Citizen
Scarlet & Sheba

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:25 am

Great cover art

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 pm

From dadascot:
"I recently read an interview where Alice said that he would like to re-visit some of his early 80's albums and re-record some songs"

He said that the first time in 2005 or 2007 I think. I just roll my eyes when he says things like that. Hopefully it won't happen although I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:59 pm

From pitkin88:
"I'd rather have the first two albums re done."

Would you not start complaining if he did that that though? That is an honest question. You often seem to complain when Alice does anything that does not include something new, whether it be recording a covers album instead of recording new material or including too many well - known songs in the show, yet here, you seem to have a different opinion.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:00 pm

From mr.barlow:
"I don't think there is a need to re-record any of those albums as they are fine just the way they are. "

Exactly. They are not perfect but they are what they are and are representative of where he was at that stage in his career.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:32 pm

All valid points and indeed valid points of view but it was really a bit of fun to see how great an album we could put together out of those four. As the one who posted I am going to make a ruling on UMW live based purely on the grounds that it was recorded at the glasgow Apollo and also because I was there, I'm also going to allow 'for Britain only' just because I still remember getting really excited when I bought it from the record store! Not scientific but then I don't care!!!

philouze
Trash
Trash

Post by philouze » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 am

Re-recording FTF, SF, ZCS and DaDa?? Are you on crack, boyo? :laugh:
Leave 'em like they are, nothing to add, nothing to take off.
And that goes for every other album.
F.T.L.O.Y.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:38 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"I'd rather have the first two albums re done."

Would you not start complaining if he did that that though? That is an honest question. You often seem to complain when Alice does anything that does not include something new, whether it be recording a covers album instead of recording new material or including too many well - known songs in the show, yet here, you seem to have a different opinion.

No I'd rather he left everything alone. I am just replying to someones fun thread. I know this will never happen. Thank you for trolling though. Just been re reading the Alice's teeth thread which contains some of your best work in defending Alice. Well done sir.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:40 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From mr.barlow:
"I don't think there is a need to re-record any of those albums as they are fine just the way they are. "

Exactly. They are not perfect but they are what they are and are representative of where he was at that stage in his career.

I think FTF and Da Da are perfect. Jeez there I go again with my differing opinions.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:51 am

Indeed. Zipper + Flush + Dada are perfect for me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:58 pm

From pitkin88:
"No I'd rather he left everything alone. I am just replying to someones fun thread."

In that case, you could have just said "No I'd rather he left everything alone." like you just did as well as joining in the spirit of the thread - just an honest observation.

> I know this will never happen.

I hope you're right but you can never be sure.

>Thank you for trolling though.

Now you are just being silly. I said it was an honest question. Unlike you, I was not being provocative.

Just been re reading the Alice's teeth thread which contains some of your best work in defending Alice. Well done sir.

I would call it pointing out idiocy.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:59 pm

From pitkin88:
"Jeez there I go again with my differing opinions."

Did anyone say there was a problem with having "differing opinions"?

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Now children, no fighting! I think Dada is about as close as you can get to perfection but let down by Dyslexia! But I'm pretty sure there are some on here who love that song!