Alice joins Motley Crue for more dates in 2015

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Alice joins Motley Crue for more dates in 2015

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:32 pm

If I remember correctly, isn't that poll what lead to He's Back being added into the setlist? It has since gotten a lot of good feedback and such at least at my shows...
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:03 pm

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:If I remember correctly, isn't that poll what lead to He's Back being added into the setlist? It has since gotten a lot of good feedback and such at least at my shows...
Possibly, but my point is the vast majority voted for things that have been in EVERY show for the past 25 years or more. ie when asked what song, any song, they wanted to see in the show 99% voted for the standards that will definitely be in every show anyway, not something more interesting.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:40 pm

yes, Si, like Desperado in the Trash tour or more recently, Caught in a Dream in the Brutal Planet tour: really something for the long time fans !
I remember when he got to the second part of the trash show (gutter cat and then muscle of love) the reaction of the public being rather slow..., but to me it was a fantastic experience ! )
you really wouldn't understand..

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:07 am

Si wrote: Possibly, but my point is the vast majority voted for things that have been in EVERY show for the past 25 years or more. ie when asked what song, any song, they wanted to see in the show 99% voted for the standards that will definitely be in every show anyway, not something more interesting.
Well, it's beyond silly to run a poll like that and then allow set standards to be included.

The clueless masses on Facebook just vote without thinking if they even understand in the first place.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:14 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Si wrote: Possibly, but my point is the vast majority voted for things that have been in EVERY show for the past 25 years or more. ie when asked what song, any song, they wanted to see in the show 99% voted for the standards that will definitely be in every show anyway, not something more interesting.
Well, it's beyond silly to run a poll like that and then allow set standards to be included.

The clueless masses on Facebook just vote without thinking if they even understand in the first place.
The truth is it's the "clueless masses on Facebook" that are buying the majority of the tickets to the shows. The poll validates Alice and Shep's decisions when it comes to the set list. They are playing to the crowd. I think this is why it is perceived that Alice seems to be blowing away Crue each night. He is playing a tight, powerful set of crowd favorites and there isn't one lull in the show.

Go to any show by any artist who's had numerous hits and you will hear the crowd always repsonding best to the hits. It's why they're hits in the first place--they are great songs.

Alice has been on stage for nearly 50 years now and you can be sure he knows how to read a crowd and their reactions.

I think that's the reason he keeps the covers in the set on his headlining show. The crowd loves them. I'm sure he knows that the crowd will respond better to "Revolution" than to "Big Apple Dreamin". They prefer "Foxy Lady" better than say "Crawlin". It's all about keeping the audience at full throttle. The way you do it is to hit them with hits and familiarity. Especially for an artist like Alice at this stage in his career.

What I don't understand is his opening the show with "House Of Fire" which was not that huge of a hit and one of the most ridiculously awful songs he ever recorded. He'd be better served opening wth "No More Love At Your Convenience".

As a diehard fan I'd love to hear nothing but obscure tracks--but his job is to give the people what they want to hear for their money. And the bulk of Alice's audience is now casual or older fans who want to hear the hits.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:36 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:

The same can be said for the Grammy voters who chose Jethro Tull over Metallicas' "...And Justice for All" for Best Heavy Metal Performance. I believe AC & Lita Ford were presenters. :rotfl:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:11 am

I guess for those of you still attending the shows you are going to be stuck with a very similar set, and probably stage show, until he calls it a day. Sad state of affairs for a one time innovator.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:03 pm

If Alice did what he did with Trash (Poison to be more precise) it would be a song that all or most of us would not love. I am not too sure Alice couldn't pull it off, either. He has the image and name and connections to put the song out so he'd have a bit of a chance to make a real commercial hit - what we wouldn't probably like. Is that what we want? Some people want Alice to take on a big head lining show. That's what it would take.

Some people want Alice to play a song no one outside of this forum has heard for thirty years plus. That would mean playing in very small venues. Is that what we want? Because those venues are what would be needed. I am not saying they would abandon him but they have bills to pay - Alice could not support a band of this caliber nor the other supporting cast. That's what that would take.

What I see going on is the reality where Alice can go out and offer a killer show, but compromises must be made. He seems to have decided that's the best path and it is his life.

I don't like supporting MC. I don't like shortened sets. Raise the Dead is really dragging along now and esp. since the covers record is nowhere to be seen let alone bought. I am still happy. OTOH I have tickets for TUSKA 2015.. :D

If I could make a wish it would be a real original album - one more and as good as he can make. Let it take three years or whatever to make if in the end he honestly thought "wow, that turned out great."

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:27 pm

The Motley Crue tour doesn't 'affect me' one iota, since a) I don't live in the US, and b) if it came to the UK I definitely wouldn't be going. There's a bigger picture here though - one of principle and ethics. Alice has frequently stated that he won't now play certain songs - particularly from 'Trash' - because he doesn't believe in 'that message' anymore. So, why is he overtly supporting a group who definitely do believe in 'that message'; what's the difference between MC playing 'those' songs and Alice not playing them, if they're sharing a stage? It's approval by association.

On top of which, MC have built a career on cynically exploiting/debasing young females, whilst two of their members have been jailed/arrested for assaulting women, and one for causing death (and serious injury) through drunk driving. Does Alice give a moment's thought to all this, when he's waxing lyrical about the 'synergy' between him and MC? Or is it all just 'rock 'n' roll', where money inevitably trumps morality? Motley Crue obviously don't give a toss, but I always presumed Alice did.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:54 pm

From concolz:
"Alice has frequently stated that he won't now play certain songs - particularly from 'Trash' - because he doesn't believe in 'that message' anymore."

He said that the first time in 1996 but still performed them on a later tour. He changes his mind, the same as everyone else does.

>what's the difference between MC playing 'those' songs and Alice not playing them, if they're sharing a stage? It's approval by association.

Why? He disagrees with Marilyn Manson on theology whom he's toured with and he's shared a stage with Penn Jillette who is an atheist. I think Rob Zombie might be as well. He is still very friendly with James Randi who frequently mocks people who have a faith. Is Alice betraying his faith as a result?

>Or is it all just 'rock 'n' roll', where money inevitably trumps morality?

You are taking this way too seriously. Besides, aren't Christians supposed to 'love the sinner but hate the sin' or something?

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:26 pm

On that basis, there are many who are not religious who go and see Alice, should Alice have them thrown out?

And please let nobody turn this into a religion bash, even if it looks like I have made a comment.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:52 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From concolz:
>what's the difference between MC playing 'those' songs and Alice not playing them, if they're sharing a stage? It's approval by association.

Why? He disagrees with Marilyn Manson on theology whom he's toured with and he's shared a stage with Penn Jillette who is an atheist. I think Rob Zombie might be as well. He is still very friendly with James Randi who frequently mocks people who have a faith. Is Alice betraying his faith as a result?

You are taking this way too seriously. Besides, aren't Christians supposed to 'love the sinner but hate the sin' or something?
At no stage in my post did I mention religion. Of course Alice is going to share a stage, at times, with people whose theological beliefs, political views etc. are different to his. That wasn't my point at all, and it is you who have turned this into a religious debate. I couldn't give a stuff about any 'faith'.

When Alice talks about 'that message' - re some of the 'hair metal' songs - he's referring to lyrics that are grossly misogynistic; where females are described as 'trash'. In a tv interview last year he again stressed his stance on this.

Motley Crue have an appalling record regarding their treatment of young females, and that's something I wish Alice had reflected on. Or don't women count at all?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:05 pm

concolz wrote:The Motley Crue tour doesn't 'affect me' one iota, since a) I don't live in the US, and b) if it came to the UK I definitely wouldn't be going. There's a bigger picture here though - one of principle and ethics. Alice has frequently stated that he won't now play certain songs - particularly from 'Trash' - because he doesn't believe in 'that message' anymore. So, why is he overtly supporting a group who definitely do believe in 'that message'; what's the difference between MC playing 'those' songs and Alice not playing them, if they're sharing a stage? It's approval by association.

On top of which, MC have built a career on cynically exploiting/debasing young females, whilst two of their members have been jailed/arrested for assaulting women, and one for causing death (and serious injury) through drunk driving. Does Alice give a moment's thought to all this, when he's waxing lyrical about the 'synergy' between him and MC? Or is it all just 'rock 'n' roll', where money inevitably trumps morality? Motley Crue obviously don't give a toss, but I always presumed Alice did.
Let's be thankful that Alice won't perform many songs from "Trash" because all of them are so damn awful. Pure crap!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:10 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:On that basis, there are many who are not religious who go and see Alice, should Alice have them thrown out?

And please let nobody turn this into a religion bash, even if it looks like I have made a comment.
Alice's has been very clear about what he feels his role is in regards to his faith. He is an Evangelical Christian. One of the main roles of the Evangelical Christians is to take the message of the faith to the non-believer. So I think that Alice is thrilled to be able to have an audience filled with non-belivers and hope that he may be able to reach just one person each night.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:18 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From concolz:
"Alice has frequently stated that he won't now play certain songs - particularly from 'Trash' - because he doesn't believe in 'that message' anymore."

He said that the first time in 1996 but still performed them on a later tour. He changes his mind, the same as everyone else does.

Alice has never been known to beat people over the head with his Bible. Alice is a devout Christian whom I'm sure follows one of the main tenets about not judging others. He also understands that actions at times speak much louder than words. I'm sure that those who know Alice and do not share his faith and beliefs can attest to the fact that his strong faith has made him a much better and kinder person and positively affected his life and of those who are close to him.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:09 am

Wow, really surprised that people want Alice to have some sort of moral litmus test for who he will play with or what songs he will play. Andy gave several examples how this does not add up. Alice doesn't even make these demands on his own traveling band, let alone other touring acts. I do realize the old quote of Alice saying he wouldn't play certain songs. However, as Andy pointed out, that was some time ago, and since he has played some of those songs. I believe Alice was initially concerned about a conflict between his personal belief (upon embracing or re-embracing his faith)and performing some songs. However, he soon gained a clearer perspective between Alice the believer (husband, father, etc.) and Alice the stage character. In fact, I think he even differentiates between Alice the rock star and Alice the stage character. If you think about it, Alice the stage character kills people and sings about necrophilia. If that guy can't indulge in hedonistic pleasures of all kind (including sex) who can?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:16 am

mr.barlow wrote:
kevinuk81 wrote:On that basis, there are many who are not religious who go and see Alice, should Alice have them thrown out?

Alice's has been very clear about what he feels his role is in regards to his faith. He is an Evangelical Christian. One of the main roles of the Evangelical Christians is to take the message of the faith to the non-believer. So I think that Alice is thrilled to be able to have an audience filled with non-belivers and hope that he may be able to reach just one person each night.
How would he possibly reach someone when he doesn't preach. I doubt he thinks about religion at all when he is performing. Agreed on Trash.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:59 am

pitkin88 wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:

How would he possibly reach someone when he doesn't preach. I doubt he thinks about religion at all when he is performing. Agreed on Trash.
If someone can become a fan to the point where they start digging into Alice's history and develop an interest in his personal life he could reach them in this way. This could easily happen by someone getting "hooked" at a show.

I agree totally about his religion being the farthest thing from his mind while he is performing. I also admire the fact that he keeps his beliefs pretty much to himself unless asked to comment on them. He also does the majority of his charity work on the quiet and never bloviates about his good deeds. A lot of Christians could learn a lot by the way he handles himself.

And just to say it again--"Trash" is absolutely the worst, most horribile thing Alice ever released. I'll take "Constrictor" and "The Great American Success Story" along with the ridiculous cheapo drum machine over ANYTHING on that wretched album.

And while I'm venting--the cardboard stand-up prop of himself that he used during the performance of "This Maniacs In Love With You" is by far the dumbest prop ever used in an Alice show. It makes the dancing chickens look like high art!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:22 am

If someone can become a fan to the point where they start digging into Alice's history and develop an interest in his personal life he could reach them in this way. This could easily happen by someone getting "hooked" at a show.

I agree totally about his religion being the farthest thing from his mind while he is performing. I also admire the fact that he keeps his beliefs pretty much to himself unless asked to comment on them. He also does the majority of his charity work on the quiet and never bloviates about his good deeds. A lot of Christians could learn a lot by the way he handles himself.

And just to say it again--"Trash" is absolutely the worst, most horribile thing Alice ever released. I'll take "Constrictor" and "The Great American Success Story" along with the ridiculous cheapo drum machine over ANYTHING on that wretched album.

And while I'm venting--the cardboard stand-up prop of himself that he used during the performance of "This Maniacs In Love With You" is by far the dumbest prop ever used in an Alice show. It makes the dancing chickens look like high art![/quote]

Well that would be an extreme longshot.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:09 am

concolz wrote: On top of which, MC have built a career on cynically exploiting/debasing young females,
there's more than enough mysogeny int he bible, if you want to use that as part of your argument. as for exploiting the girls, i'm not sure who far you'd have to go to find one that wasn't a willing participant. nobody forces girls to be groupies.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\