Are There Any Fans That Prefer Alice's Solo Career

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Are There Any Fans That Prefer Alice's Solo Career

Post by dadascot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:18 am

I never really looked at them as separate entities. I just rate the albums. My top five, not in order would be - FTI, WTMN, KILLER, DADA and LITD. Great songs and albums both side of the fence. There are also weaker albums both sides of the fence -EA, PFY, RYFAY and ACAS.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:12 pm

I think if the Alice-solo story had not continued, we wouldn't be here, would we ?
the very very first article I read way back in the seventies about this then new and shocking phenomenon -Alice Cooper - all talked about that thin blackhaired guy with posters ripped to pieces and snake and all the rest...and it was only Alice that made the picture accompanying the article.
It was not until I got to the ST list (Hunter and then Si) that I found out that this distinction between AC and ACG lived so strong for some of the AC(G) fans.
One of the dominating aspects to me has always been Alice's voice and that hasn't really changed so much over the years.
Musically the first albums are very strong , but even ACG fans often have their doubts on MOL ( which I personally like very much).
So to me, even though there have been some very weak songs over the years, and as pointed out before not so unlikely to find some in more than 20 albums- both periods are valuable.
but of course being caught by Alice with the first albums, leaves an impression that lasts for ever...
you really wouldn't understand..

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:15 pm

To give my opinion on the initial question:

Of course there is.
I mean, fans who praise f.i. Brutal Planet as a favourite, probably wont dig Easy Action much.

The ACG era was only very short (69-74), compared with the 40 years of solo Alice.
But judging by the general inputs from fans even on this site, the 5 year period of ACG has far the most inpact in general.

To me, the ACG era is really what it's all about. When Alice lived the character and Glen, Neal, Dennis and Mike were with him.

Dennis and Neal have come out with some really good solo stuff too. Would have been interesting to hear what Glen could have churned out.

Alice solo has had some fine moments, like WTMN and DADA. But nothing like the original Group IMO.

About Alice's voice not changing much, I say:
Killer, Scool's Out (in particular) and BDB clearly marks the highs of Alice's voice.
Just listen to My Stars !

I still enjoy Alice's shows, but really he's just an icon to me now.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 pm

dadascot wrote:I never really looked at them as separate entities.
Me too. For me, "Alice Cooper" has always been a state-of-thinking rather than a name attached to a group or solo artist. Just my opinion.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...