I give up!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

I give up!

Post by Gunner » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:00 am

Alice Cooper doesn't make it into Kerrang's 'The top 20 Greatest Rock Stars Ever', but Gene Simmons, Joey Ramone, Lars Ulrich and Marilyn Manson do! Utter joke and pathetic!

Don't get me wrong, a couple of those probably deserve to be in there, but if any of those do, then Alice CERTAINLY DOES!

grim fact
Trash
Trash

Re: I give up!

Post by grim fact » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 am

Agree.

With you DG, that is.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:45 pm

This does stink, but most polls are meaningless, although it is fun to participate or read them (in the late 70's, always looked forward to the CREEM readers poll-any fellow 50 somethings out there remember them?). WE know Alice is more talented than most of the names mentioned, but it seems he never got much recognition from polls...except from smart people like US!! :alice: :alice:
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:55 pm

It IS meaningless yes, but it shows you how ignorant those who vote really are. How the hell can a somewhat ordinary bass player who slapped on make-up (that was influenced by Alice Cooper) be a greater rock star than Alice Cooper who influenced and innovated in so many ways!!??? What a load of old 'kin b@ll@cks!!! ::((: :nono:

Lisacooper91
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Lisacooper91 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Appalling.
The sanest days are mad.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Appalling but not unexpected...i have met many people, for example, that believe Kiss have been around longer than Alice (maybe Poison in 89 and Alices continual tv appearances make him seem more contemporary perhaps)...journos should know better but its not surprising to me...Alice has been passed over many times over the years...Alice has shown a different human side to himself not consistent with some rockers...so he may not fill the stereotype of rock star for kerrang.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:49 pm

>Alice Cooper doesn't make it into Kerrang's 'The top 20 Greatest Rock Stars Ever', but Gene Simmons, Joey Ramone, Lars Ulrich and Marilyn Manson do! Utter joke and pathetic!

Who decided that, though? The readers or the staff of that publication? After all, last year, that magazine gave him an award.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Why get upset, none of this means much.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:55 pm

It is interesting how some on that list are very much influenced by Alice.
Really more of a who the most popular among rock stars

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:11 am

It depends what definition of 'rock star' they're basing the poll on. Gene Simmons could be considered a bigger rock 'star' in appearances/flashy entrances when in public than Alice, but that doesn't make him more influential or a pioneer of sorts.

Compare it to movies; not all movie stars have talent and can act.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:04 am

Don't get me wrong though, I know it is a rather 'valueless' poll, but the point is that people really believe the results!! And that part is quite shocking.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:06 am

Shoesalesman wrote:It depends what definition of 'rock star' they're basing the poll on. Gene Simmons could be considered a bigger rock 'star' in appearances/flashy entrances when in public than Alice, but that doesn't make him more influential or a pioneer of sorts.

Compare it to movies; not all movie stars have talent and can act.
If the definiton of rock star is: money-obsessed, sex-obsessed and basic rock, then Gene should win hands down!! ;)

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:10 am

Seems to be more of a popularty rock star. Reality is very few know who alice cooper is now days. They may know of schools out and a few other songs seen on tv and film. That's about it.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:34 am

Kerrang is very much a kids magazine anyway so I wouldn't take any notice of it

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:58 am

My 15 year old daughter reads it and I have had to tell her my view and knowledge - which she understands and agrees with as she has grown up with an Alice Cooper influence from me and her mum.

The thing is, Iggy is in there, Gene Simmons and many other AC contempories, so something is a miss somewhere - just like the Bowie 'thing'. There seems to be propaganda or is it just ridiculous and downright ignorance from the media, the public - the bloody lot from what I can tell!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 pm

...you say it "doesn't matter", but it may well do actually; you see, it is like this because it has been like this before and before that and before that (we had to 'SCREEEEEEAM' to get them/him in to that RRHOF fiasco) - so in the future he won't be recognised for what he did - they won't have the knowledge really.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Gunner wrote:...you say it "doesn't matter", but it may well do actually; you see, it is like this because it has been like this before and before that and before that (we had to 'SCREEEEEEAM' to get them/him in to that RRHOF fiasco) - so in the future he won't be recognised for what he did - they won't have the knowledge really.
Yes exactly, everything Alice Cooper has accomplished will be forever erased because Kerrang refused to put him on this list!
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Gunner wrote:

...you say it "doesn't matter", but it may well do actually; you see, it is like this because it has been like this before and before that and before that (we had to 'SCREEEEEEAM' to get them/him in to that RRHOF fiasco) - so in the future he won't be recognised for what he did - they won't have the knowledge really.

Have you let Kerrang know of your upset?

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:14 pm

I read this list yesterday and. well was going to say couldn't believe it but unfortunately it is all too easey to believe. I can't understand why he gets so overlooked, he is more productive than Iggy, he plays over here reguarly, his last album was relatively successful, his shows always get great reviews and his influence is obvious. I think we should all email kerrang and let them know how we feel.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 pm

As has been said many times, polls like this really mean very little by themselves. Either journalists or readers voting for their favourite artists.
BUT...
The problem is so many of these things omit Alice that in the end it DOES become a problem. They may all be wrong, but it becomes "truth" through repetition. That is the danger of these polls. When you add them all together (and there are hundreds a year), Alice Cooper is slowly erased from history, or at least his/their importance is dimished in the general publics eyes.