Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Im The Coolest

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:36 pm

>Andy, life is too short to respond to that,

Why did you, then?

> What I will say is that the vocal in 'I'm the Coolest' sounds like Alice Cooper to me,

I NEVER SAID IT DIDN'T! THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS IS ABOUT!

ALICEROCKS
Killer
Killer

Post by ALICEROCKS » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:01 am

ITC is one of my favorite late 70's Alice songs! Great solo on it too!
I Gotta get outta this place,I'll go runnin in outer space yeah!...."Im Eighteen".

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:37 am

RemarkablyInsincere, I accept that my 'notation' may have been difficult to read for some, but to write 'learn to quote' is just rude, and you know it. Besides, the post wasn't meant for those like yourself that can follow a thread and recongnise that people take comments out of context, it was for the others and for that reason!
>Andy, life is too short to respond to that,

Why did you, then?
I said 'that', as in that last post.
> What I will say is that the vocal in 'I'm the Coolest' sounds like Alice Cooper to me,

I NEVER SAID IT DIDN'T! THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS IS ABOUT!
I know Andy, you are playing "devil's advocat" and merely pointing out that it is understandable that one may perceive this vocal differently to another. Your 'defence' for such a standpoint is that he talks bits of ITC as though it was some narrative by Barry White or something. My standpoint is that I am surprised that some would question whether it is Alice that's all - it's not meant to be a brain teaser - you only have to listen to Desperado, Big Apple, the talking in Killer, Nothing's Free, Jacknife Johnny or even Pass the gun around to hear Alice demonstrate his deeper, more resonate, almost talking vocal. It's a bit listening to Clones and then questioning whether it is still Alice on say, Dyslexia.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:52 am

>know Andy, you are playing "devil's advocat"

No, I'm not.

>merely pointing out that it is understandable that one may perceive this vocal differently to another.

I'm not saying that either!

> Your 'defence' for such a standpoint is that he talks bits of ITC as though it was some narrative by Barry White or something.

I didn't say that either.

>My standpoint is that I am surprised that some would question whether it is Alice that's all -

FOR THE SECOND TIME, I DIDN'T SAY THAT!

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am

....ahem ...for what it's worth.... I remember the song being played on local Liverpool UK radio one evening by the late, GREAT Phil Easton, whenI was babysitting for a neighbour (with a "lady" aqauintance)...she didn't believe me when I told her it was Alice singing/drawling( she knew I was an Alice Fan though...)...a few hours later, another DJ played Dr.Hooks " A little bit more"...but that's another story.....
R.I.P Phil, an Alice -trooper, and also a Brilliant Radio DJ....
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:32 am

she didn't believe me when I told her it was Alice singing/drawling
Well, that is understandable if she wasn't familiar with Alice's ability for vocal expression and using different registers, 'colours' and 'textures' - isn't it??

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:47 am

In a similar vein, when I bought Schools Out LP at the tender age of 14, I was convinced that Alice couldn't have sung on all of it, his voice sounded so different between, say Luney Tune and Blue Turk. I only had a crappy mono Dancette to play it on, mind you.

Andy, you are playing "devil's advocat" Is that some kind of new cocktail :rotfl:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 am

I agree there Gunner...It doesn't sound like an "Alice" tune at all, to those un-initiated to the ACGTH album....( still doesn't to me!!!)

Cherry pie, I used to play "Blue Turk" a lot in a nightclub I worked in as a DJ, , and quite a few Black people would come up and ask me which "Soul" singer it was who was singing!!
I had to show them the cd cover as proof....
( a lot of people grooved along to it as it was playing as well!!).

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:01 pm

Cherry pie, I used to play "Blue Turk" a lot in a nightclub I worked in as a DJ, , and quite a few Black people would come up and ask me which "Soul" singer it was who was singing!!
Not surprised, love his voice on it - it's a brilliant track, one of my top ten.
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:49 pm

>I agree there Gunner...It doesn't sound like an "Alice" tune at all,

We're discussing the singing, not the "tune".

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Ok ...Ok....Alices "Voice" ( As a SINGER/Vocalist...) didn't sound like the "Alice" I knew/know of, to the Lady I was with at the time....

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 pm

You know, I think what some (if not many) people don't appreciate is that the standard 'Alice vocal' is 'put on' and his 'real voice' is the one that apparently doesn't sound like him to most of you!!?? Alice sings for the best part on all the ballads and various other tracks like ITC, Big Apple, Desperado, the end of Prince of Darkness etc etc etc. If you listen pre 'Love it to death' he doesn't really use the familiar Alice vocal ('Return of the Spiders', Misdemeanor exceptions' of course), this is because Bob taught him to develop a technique that is essentially 'false'.

I think this may be an explanation as to why I am confused at the vocals that people don't recognsie as 'Alice'. Ironically, those are the ones where he isn't using the vocal technique that involves a certain amount of 'fluid' at the back of the throat.

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:30 pm

....The point I was sort of trying to make though, Gunner...is that it was NOT the "Usual" Alice vocal that the lady I was with would have automatically assumed was Alices " Normal"singing Voice that she was used to hearing ( Schools out, Elected, BDB....) she had heard before on Radio....
ACGTH is one of my Favourite albums by the man, and I myself was quite surprised to hear the track getting played on UK radio at the time....again, God bless phil Easton for actually bothering to play it......

In Chick
Killer
Killer

Post by In Chick » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:39 pm

DaveJay wrote:Ok ...Ok....Alices "Voice" ( As a SINGER/Vocalist...) didn't sound like the "Alice" I knew/know of, to the Lady I was with at the time....
I know what kind of voice you mean... but it was Alice...
the persona... I never did believe that Alice could have that kind of voice... alright...

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:07 pm

I wondered if Gunner could say a little bit more about this"fluid" in the back of the throat techique mentioned. Been into AC since 1971 but never heard of this(doesnt mean to say its not correct) and I'm also wondering how Alice does this live to get the same effect..seen Alice a lot and his gruff vocals tend to replicate the recordings well to my ears, so if there is a technique guess he must be using it live(and its not obvious)..await to hear..ta
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

In Chick
Killer
Killer

Post by In Chick » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Ta... what is that word?

moonshadow
Dada God
Dada God

Post by moonshadow » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Ta = Thank you.
You've got to trust your dreamers heart
Nobody else will tell you when you fall apart.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:32 pm

DaveJay wrote:....ahem ...for what it's worth.... I remember the song being played on local Liverpool UK radio one evening by the late, GREAT Phil Easton, whenI was babysitting for a neighbour (with a "lady" aqauintance)...she didn't believe me when I told her it was Alice singing/drawling( she knew I was an Alice Fan though...)...a few hours later, another DJ played Dr.Hooks " A little bit more"...but that's another story.....
R.I.P Phil, an Alice -trooper, and also a Brilliant Radio DJ....
I never knew Phil had passed away, when I lived in the North West he was on Radio City top DJ.
You must be familiar with another great Rock jock from Liverpool who also sadly is no longer with us, Rick Dane when he was on the pirate station from Liverpool, Radio Jackie North he played Halo Of Flies for me still got the tape and met him (really great bloke) when they did the rock night at Annabels night club in the Tuebrook area of that great city.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

In Chick
Killer
Killer

Post by In Chick » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Ah, ok. Then ta for telling that ta was thank you.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I wondered if Gunner could say a little bit more about this"fluid" in the back of the throat techique mentioned. Been into AC since 1971 but never heard of this(doesnt mean to say its not correct) and I'm also wondering how Alice does this live to get the same effect..seen Alice a lot and his gruff vocals tend to replicate the recordings well to my ears, so if there is a technique guess he must be using it live(and its not obvious)..await to hear..ta
Hi recoop,I don't know a great deal about it, but you can try it for yourself; This may sound a bit 'off-putting' to some, but just get some saliva/spittle/phelgm in your mouth, let it roll to the back of your mouth (almost as if you are about to gargle), and just hold it there, let it 'sit' there (it can stay for hours), then sing and you will have a 'rasp', 'a frog in your voice' (for want of a better expression), then sing, or even do an 'Alice' impression. That is the technique I believe. It's no problem to do it live, it's not in the slightest bit uncomfortable and it's rather effective for rock.

So, the next time somebody says to you 'Oooh IS THAT ALICE?' when listening to OWB, How you gonna see me now' etc etc etc etc, just say "That's his real vocal, yes". Desperado is the same, he just uses a much lower register. He doesn't have a very good singing voice really, but it is brilliantly expressive and my favourite vocalist ever!! Basically, it is why I love Alice Cooper, it's the voice, the rest is a bonus and a big bonus!