American Idol???

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Re: American Idol???

Post by Gunner » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:14 am

My belief is that rock music is outside of Simon Cowell's 'expertise'. Simon works in the business of manufacturing artists to a large extent and rock music seldom works within that business. Also, as Johnny Lydon said; they (American Idol judges) work from THEIR methodology, they negate on the fact that one could be ugly and unable to sing very well despite it coming from the heart and something that the artist truly believes in. How would a young Bowie, Cooper, Iggy etc feature on American Idol??

>>So it is possible that Alice was applauded during the commercial break. No - one should assume that he wasn't.

True. However, to be fair, it would be a reasonable deduction to make that if a performance is such that an artist receives a standing ovation, the broadcasters would broadcast the standing ovation.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:17 pm

> the broadcasters would broadcast the standing ovation.

Not if there's a commercial break, hence my question.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 pm

mattcoddington wrote:it's popular, but it's not the MOST popular mainstream type of music. who is super popular right now? lady gaga, justin bieber, miley cyrus, rappers.... people give nickelback crap all the time, but i'd take them over lady gaga.
I agree with the Nickelback comment. The other performers you've mentioned leave a black eye on creative longevity and value in music. American Idol kind of perpetuates this.

My opinion: music in general terms needs to return to individual choice rather than recording industries telling folks what's popular and what to listen to. Until then... I guess we'll have to put up with test tube musicians that were created in the studio and avoid the radio like the plague.

Okay, I'm done now. Sorry 'bout that. :grin:
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:37 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:> the broadcasters would broadcast the standing ovation.

Not if there's a commercial break, hence my question.
I understand what you are saying and the meaning of your question Andy, BUT, what I am getting at is this;

The fact that a commercial break is required does not mean that any standing ovation would have to be omitted from the broadcast, anymore than the end of a song be omitted. The broadcasters have some scope there obviously. AND, indeed, if there was a standing ovation, the chances are that the broadcasters would broadcast that aren't they?? The original post someone made here about being suprised that there appeared to be no standing ovation was a very valid and reasonable comment, your comment of there existing a commercial break as some sort of explanation for there not being a standing ovation is rather weak.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:09 pm

>The fact that a commercial break is required does not mean that any standing ovation would have to be omitted from the broadcast,

So how would it be shown if they cut to a commercial?

>The broadcasters have some scope there obviously.

Actually, not necessarily. Television commercials are hugely expensive, especially when shown during a show like "American Idol" and whether you like it or not, advertising (for the most part) has priority.

>AND, indeed, if there was a standing ovation, the chances are that the broadcasters would broadcast that aren't they??

Why?

>The original post someone made here about being suprised that there appeared to be no standing ovation was a very valid and reasonable comment,

That's why I asked if there was a commercial break. If there hadn't been and the camera was focused on Simon Cowell who was stoll seated, then the question would have been more valid.

>your comment of there existing a commercial break as some sort of explanation for there not being a standing ovation is rather weak

Explain to me why you can assume there was no standing ovation just because it was not seen.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Gunner wrote:The fact that a commercial break is required does not mean that any standing ovation would have to be omitted from the broadcast, anymore than the end of a song be omitted. The broadcasters have some scope there obviously. AND, indeed, if there was a standing ovation, the chances are that the broadcasters would broadcast that aren't they?? The original post someone made here about being suprised that there appeared to be no standing ovation was a very valid and reasonable comment, your comment of there existing a commercial break as some sort of explanation for there not being a standing ovation is rather weak.
There isn't any importance to them broadcasting Alice receiving a standing ovation. There is much importance in getting their advertisements in on time. It is live, so things have to be right on time otherwise you end up getting in trouble with timing, and potentially the local affiliates with their news programming. It would be a different story if it was recorded as they have the luxury of editing everything in on time and still getting their adverts right. Television, believe it or not, is an almost exact science, especially when dealing with live television.

Having said that, I'm not suggesting Alice did indeed get a standing ovation, but Andy has a very valid point.

Long story short... Advertising $$$$$$ > Alice getting a standing ovation.
Me = Winning

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:47 am

That's why I asked if there was a commercial break.
A rhetorical question as well you know, they cut to the adverts
>AND, indeed, if there was a standing ovation, the chances are that the broadcasters would broadcast that aren't they??

Why?
Because they usually are, that makes the chances higher.
Explain to me why you can assume there was no standing ovation just because it was not seen.
Because there wasn't one after 23 seconds??? If you are telling me that it is conceivable that they stood up after 23 seconds of the song finishing then I have to say I find that hard to accept.

We are talking about the judges standing up Andy - remember?

See for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZfeSD1ydc

And you claim that the broadcasters may have decided that it was one SO not worth showing.

Honestly people, at the end of the sun goes down you know?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:23 am

I honestly don't understand what point you're trying to make?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:19 pm

>A rhetorical question as well you know, they cut to the adverts

Not necessarily. How do I know which broadcast Dave Conway saw? For all I know he saw a different version to the one broadcast on American Television.

>Because there wasn't one after 23 seconds???

Why did you not provide this link earlier, then? I don’t know if Dave Conway saw the exact same footage that you provided a link to. If someone who had seen the footage had confirmed there was no standing ovation, then that would have answered my question, but no – one responded.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi, I have only seen the footage linked on this thread....... ;)
...And personally, I don't care.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:38 pm

>Hi, I have only seen the footage linked on this thread.......

Thanks. In that case, you could have specified that you actually saw that there was no standing ovation when I asked about a commercial break.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Sorry Andy, I have been a way for a weeks holiday last week and not been able to keep up since I got back either.

Onwards and upwards.
...And personally, I don't care.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 am

>Sorry Andy, I have been a way for a weeks holiday last week and not been able to keep up since I got back either.

No problem at all.