Don't Blow Your Mind: The Mascot Sessions

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Don't Blow Your Mind: The Mascot Sessions

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:42 pm

Hey Dennis,

I've been enjoying this release and sincerely hope you got a complimentary copy, especially since you're credited for helping them out with background information.

Is there anything in particular you can suggest we listen out for, or any extra anecdote you'd care to share about those recordings?

Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Don't Blow Your Mind: The Mascot Sessions

Post by Dreary » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:59 pm

Jack Curtis had booked two hours of session time. The songs didn't make radio playlists, but they were so heavily used in the VIP Lounge radio ads that they seemed like hits in Arizona. In that respect, they were heard more often that most groups that were on the radio playlist.

I only recall recording "Hitch Hike" and "Why Don't You Love Me" at the session, however the bass sound on "Don't Blow Your Mind" matches the other two songs, and according to the liner notes, the voice between all three songs was Dave Oxman from that studio.

Concerning the liner notes, Oktay had asked me if I would check the liner notes for accuracy. I started doing that but due to so many corrections I quickly came to the conclusion that it would be much easier for me to re-write them, which got no response so that was the end of that.

He sent me a recording of the Spiders rehearsing at the VIP, which, because of sketchy information due to a language barrier on both ends, lead me to mistakingly believe that the rehearsal would be included on this release. I offered to put him in touch with a restoration expert that could make the tracks sound much better. Again, no response, and that was the end of that.

It seems like the final takes of "Hitch Hike" and "Why Don't You Love Me" sounded better on the original single release. If so, it was likely because of mastering.

The record does give listeners a good insight to what the session was like.

The difference between this version of "Don't Blow Your Mind" and the one we did in Tucson, other than the giddy-up outro, is that this was done in about 40 minutes and the Copper State, in Tucson, version took two full days.

Michael had urged us to start writing our own songs (we later found out that he was recording his originals outside our band on the sly). This was the very first song Vince and I wrote and the Copper State version made it to #11 on KRIZ AM in Tucson, Arizona.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:08 am

Thanks, Dennis, for another thorough and fascinating answer.

Sounds like the release had the potential for being even better than it is, but it's still a great historical document in many ways and I personally really love that period of the band.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:48 am

Wow! I totally missed this! Got it on order now . Thanks for the info Dennis

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:01 pm

I saw it on Amazon, and was tempted. Then I remembered this thread, and that was the end of that.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:16 am

Hi Dennis I’m guessing this was before Michael joined the group, so you had Don’t Blow Your Mind already?

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:56 am

Babysquid wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:16 am
Hi Dennis I’m guessing this was before Michael joined the group, so you had Don’t Blow Your Mind already?
In his book, Dennis states that Alice and him wrote DBYM following MB's encouragement for the Group to start writing their own songs. I'm interested about Michael recording his own original songs outside of the Group (The Spiders). I don't know if Dennis is willing or able to provide more info. about that.

Ted

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:59 pm

Ted Sallis wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:56 am
Babysquid wrote:
In his book, Dennis states that Alice and him wrote DBYM following MB's encouragement for the Group to start writing their own songs. I'm interested about Michael recording his own original songs outside of the Group (The Spiders). I don't know if Dennis is willing or able to provide more info. about that.

Ted
Hi Ted, i know that’s the story that’s why I asked regarding this supposedly earlier version that predates Mike’s joining . If you read Michael’s book he lists the songs he put out in his discography.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:20 pm

Babysquid wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:59 pm
Ted Sallis wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:56 am
Babysquid wrote:

Ted
Hi Ted, i know that’s the story that’s why I asked regarding this supposedly earlier version that predates Mike’s joining . If you read Michael’s book he lists the songs he put out in his discography.
Michael did urge us to write originals rather than covering songs by other bands, however, that didn't happen until after he joined the band, so evidently, timeline proves that Vince and I had written "Don't Blow Your Mind" before that.