27 Club

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

27 Club

Post by livinluvin72 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:15 am

Hello Dennis, Jimi Hendrix died 9.18.1970. Janis Joplin died 10.4.1970 and Jim Morrison died 7.3.1971. All 3 were 27. You and the band personally knew them. Their deaths happened while you were in the Easy Action/Love It to Death era.
1. How did their deaths affect you? Were you shocked or did you see it coming? Did it change your views on the industry you were in and this occupational hazard?
2. Regarding Jimi, the most common cause of death given I think was that he had been out drinking a lot of wine. Stayed at a young lady’s place that night. Took some sleeping pills she had which were pills he was familiar with. Same brand but since he was in England at the time, he took too many not realizing the English version of the pills were much stronger than the US version. During his sleep he began to vomit the wine but due to the heavy dosage of sleeping pills he did not wake up and choked on his vomit. There have been some stories around that it was a hit job. Knowing Jimi and the times what do you think?

Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: 27 Club

Post by Dreary » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:03 am

The loss of those three, plus Brian Jones 3.7.69 shocked and deeply saddened the world. It was a wake up call that the positive vibes of the Free Love era had been darkened by how many young people were dying from various things that seemed to be related to that life style.

Jimi and Jim hit us the hardest because we knew them.
They both partied like rock and roll stars of that time.
I was at a party at a house in Phoenix, Arizona. It was an after-party for a concert by The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
The party house was packed and I was standing in a hallway lined by people on both sides. Jimi, Mitch, and Noel arrived and as they walked through the hallway some people handed them pills and joints. They put the joints in their pockets and every pill went directly into their mouths no questions asked.

All we can do is remember them fondly and wonder how much more great music they could have made.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:38 pm

“Every pill went directly into their mouth no questions asked”.

Everyone seems to be aware of the excesses in the industry especially during those days. It seemed expected. My question is was there anyone in your sphere that raised a voice of caution or flat out said let’s not be stupid here because it will end badly ? I’m sure if there was he might not have been real popular.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:14 am

revinkevin wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:38 pm

Everyone seems to be aware of the excesses in the industry especially during those days. It seemed expected. My question is was there anyone in your sphere that raised a voice of caution or flat out said let’s not be stupid here because it will end badly ? I’m sure if there was he might not have been real popular.
At that time, television stations in Arizona were running "Reefer Madness" style ads portraying marijuana users as acting dangerously insane. We knew that was an unrealistic exaggeration. Overdoses seemed like something that only happened to hard core addicts and we didn't know of any in our sphere.

Saying something risked being tagged as a Narc (narcotics agent) which would surely end any social life.

You're right, something probably should have been said, but it wasn't.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:21 am

Dreary wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:14 am
revinkevin wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:38 pm

At that time, television stations in Arizona were running "Reefer Madness" style ads portraying marijuana users as acting dangerously insane. We knew that was an unrealistic exaggeration. Overdoses seemed like something that only happened to hard core addicts and we didn't know of any in our sphere.

Saying something risked being tagged as a Narc (narcotics agent) which would surely end any social life.

You're right, something probably should have been said, but it wasn't.

Also, sadly, it might not have done any good to urge for caution as most people wouldn't want and still don't to be
told what to do, even if the warning is given out of concern :(
"I need everything the world owes me..."