Rotating Stage ***SPOILER ALERT***Michael Allen’s Book

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Rotating Stage ***SPOILER ALERT***Michael Allen’s Book

Post by livinluvin72 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:47 pm

Finished reading Mike Allen’s book. I LOL’d over the rotating stage at the Phoenix Coliseum story! There was no backstage for the EQ and props. The stage was rickety, and the rotation was not smooth. The audience tried to follow you as the stage rotated. Mike had to carry the door for Nobody Likes Me over his head while the stage was rotating and hand it off to Alice. The coliseum PA was not meant for music. The coliseum lighting was not meant for concerts. Mike said, “All of this had Shep pulling his hair out!” :smack: This reminded me of the 3 Stooges when they used to pull Larry’s hair out in clumps. I couldn’t find your version of this story in your book. There is no index so I could not find it. Sorry if I missed it. What was your version of this story as a performer on the rotating stage? Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Rotating Stage ***SPOILER ALERT***Michael Allen’s Book

Post by Dreary » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:27 pm

I don't think my account of that show made the final edit in my book.

That was the second time we performed on a rotating round stage. The first time was when we were in Bye Bye Birdie at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix in 1966 - we played that same stage again in 2017 for Alice's Christmas Pudding fundraiser. But, unlike the fiasco at the Phoenix Coliseum, the Celebrity Theater stage was surrounded by seating and it rotated smoothly. And since it was a play, we laid our amplifiers on their backs facing the ceiling so they weren't blocking anyone's view.

The Phoenix Coliseum stage was makeshift and the logistics were left to chance.
It was our big return to Phoenix as home town heroes. Iron Butterfly were gigantic there due to a disc jockey that played the long version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida every evening at sunset. And so the show was sold out, which meant the ground area was standing room only, which also meant it was a major feat for the band to get to the stage.

Ironically, per Alice's idea, we were introduced as being from Hollywood California. Their beloved Spiders had morphed into something new and a bit confounding, never the less, seemingly we had gone to California and hit the big time.
The stage jerked into rotation and was a challenge for us to stay upright. It felt like we were in a B-52 Bomber flying by the seat of our pants. Glen and I tried to face every direction so that people wouldn't be looking at our backs for half the time, but that was awkward and didn't seem to help much.
When the set was over the crowd swallowed us up and it was every man for himself all the way back to the distant dressing room.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:59 am

Yet again why it’s so FREAKING AWESOME to have Dennis Dunaway here.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Mike Allen
Trash
Trash

Post by Mike Allen » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:16 am

Dennis, I like your version of the triumphant return of Alice Cooper to Phoenix Az. That’s how was billed better than my story. I forgot to write about Neal’s drums especially the cymbals and every time the stage came to a stop his cymbal stands would start to tip over. He would start grabbing at them. While the stage was rotating I was nailing them down. It made for quite a show.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:21 am

Mike, we didn't realize it during the show but it being our big return to Phoenix overshadowed any technical difficulties.
As I recall, the crowd loved us more than ever.
A little detail - Cindy's best friend, Linda, who worked at the Inside Outside boutique in Hollywood when Cindy asked Joe and Shep to consider managing Alice Cooper, would marry Bill Chadwick who was working for Iron Butterfly at that show in Phoenix.

Mike Allen
Trash
Trash

Post by Mike Allen » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:38 pm

I did not know that about Bill Chadwick being with Iron Butterfly. I thought he was spent a lot of time with the Monkees.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:00 pm

Mike Allen wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:38 pm
I did not know that about Bill Chadwick being with Iron Butterfly. I thought he was spent a lot of time with the Monkees.
You're right, Bill was with the Monkees throughout their career. He just did an autograph signing event with Mickey.
Bill did, however, work with other artists like Donovan. He also made beautiful tie-dye shirts, some of which, having belonged to Jimi Hendrix, are on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum.

Mike Allen
Trash
Trash

Post by Mike Allen » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:34 pm

Dennis, you’re a veritable fountain of information. I had no idea about the tie-dyed shirts he made. A tie-dyed turtleneck would have looked pretty good back in the day.