Session Players

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Session Players

Post by Devon » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:53 pm

Hey Dennis,
One thing that is very clear as the ACG albums went on was the increased use in Session Players, notably lead guitar players starting with Rick Derringer on "Under My Wheels" and continuing on with Hunter/Wagner on the "School's Out" album. Eventually, Glen was all but replaced on the last two albums. What was behind this and how did Glen feel about this? Did this change the dynamics of the band both musically and personally as well?

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Session Players

Post by SickThings » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:05 am

This is all covered in Dennis's book.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:14 am

My apologies. I don't have the book yet and didn't realize that was a requirement to participate. I apologize if this prevented him from responding, which he has no obligation to do of course.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:38 am

Devon wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:14 am
My apologies. I don't have the book yet and didn't realize that was a requirement. My apologies.
This does require a rather lengthy answer to do G.B. justice. It is the only chapter in my book that the editor, the co-writer, the legal department, and the publisher all agreed to print exactly as I wrote it.
I urge you to read my book, then I'll be happy to answer any further questions.

I would like to point out that our band wrote and played most every note on our albums, and under tight deadlines.
Other bands used studio musicians, for example the Beach Boys recordings were mostly the Wrecking Crew. That way, they could put out new albums and tour simultaneously.

We wrote, recorded, and toured our own new shows at a fast and furious pace.