My Stars

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

mr.barlow

My Stars

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:23 pm

Thank you Dennis for giving us the opportunity to ask questions to someone who was/is part of it all. Over the years there have been several debates/arguments etc. over events and I always openly asked for any band member(s) to enter the discussion to provide the truth. We got one better with you getting your own forum---again thank you.

Now, it's no secret on here that I am a huge fan and advocate of the late great Dick Wagner. I've been a life long Alice fan and love each "era" and there is nothing musically that compares to the output of the original line-up. With that being said, I'd love to know how things started to change when GB decided to take a back seat,

As time went on it became public in drips and drabs how GB started to withdraw starting with School's Out and that his playing on the albums started to wane as well, with him not even playing on B$B or MOL.

This brings me to my question. How much input, if any, did Wagner have on the song My Stars? The song is credited to Alice & Ezrin and I always wondered if Wagner had input into the writing of it. In his book, Wagner stated the he was paid a small sum--I think $75.00-- to play on the album and that was it. If he did not have any input into the writing did Ezrin provide him sheet music or an outline for his guitar parts or was Wagner given the freedom to do his thing. Also, did he play on any other tracks either in whole or part on the School's Out album.

Wagner also mentioned in his book that he was brought to Greenwich to write with Alice. He states the rest of the band were there but he himself was focused on working with Alice. It was at this time that I Love The Dead was given birth. My question is---how did the other band members react to seeing Wagner in the house working with Alice--namely GB? Did any of the other band members ever write with Wagner? Also did Wagner have any other uncredited writing on B$B or MOL? The same question applies to Mashbir & Bolin.

Again--thank you for having this personal forum and I look forward to asking a million questions!

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: My Stars

Post by Dreary » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:18 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:23 pm
Thank you Dennis for giving us the opportunity to ask questions to someone who was/is part of it all. Over the years there have been several debates/arguments etc. over events and I always openly asked for any band member(s) to enter the discussion to provide the truth. We got one better with you getting your own forum---again thank you.

Now, it's no secret on here that I am a huge fan and advocate of the late great Dick Wagner. I've been a life long Alice fan and love each "era" and there is nothing musically that compares to the output of the original line-up. With that being said, I'd love to know how things started to change when GB decided to take a back seat,

As time went on it became public in drips and drabs how GB started to withdraw starting with School's Out and that his playing on the albums started to wane as well, with him not even playing on B$B or MOL.

This brings me to my question. How much input, if any, did Wagner have on the song My Stars? The song is credited to Alice & Ezrin and I always wondered if Wagner had input into the writing of it. In his book, Wagner stated the he was paid a small sum--I think $75.00-- to play on the album and that was it. If he did not have any input into the writing did Ezrin provide him sheet music or an outline for his guitar parts or was Wagner given the freedom to do his thing. Also, did he play on any other tracks either in whole or part on the School's Out album.

Wagner also mentioned in his book that he was brought to Greenwich to write with Alice. He states the rest of the band were there but he himself was focused on working with Alice. It was at this time that I Love The Dead was given birth. My question is---how did the other band members react to seeing Wagner in the house working with Alice--namely GB? Did any of the other band members ever write with Wagner? Also did Wagner have any other uncredited writing on B$B or MOL? The same question applies to Mashbir & Bolin.

Again--thank you for having this personal forum and I look forward to asking a million questions!
I was in Toronto for hernia surgery when "My Stars" was written. When I got back, they played the song for me with GB on guitar and MB playing bass. Of course, Alice was singing and Neal was playing drums. Wagner wasn't there. Neither was Bob Dolan or Mick Mashbir.
Wagner played the lead part in the recording studio. They played the track for him and he recorded a few different passes until he nailed it.
Glen was playing fine at that time. Just listen to "Blue Turk." Ezrin always talked about helping out Wagner and Hunter, and so he did. But Neal, Michael, Alice, Glen, and I were actively involved in most every part of every song on the School's Out album. Except maybe "Grand Finale" which was more like us adding our parts to Ezrin's idea.
Wagner and I sat face to face in folding chairs working out the parts for "I Love The Dead." The band was starting at 10 am and GB wasn't showing up until around 3 in the afternoon. That opened the door for Ezrin to bring his friends in.
Glen saw it as Ezrin is taking over.
As for uncredited song writing, you have to realize that we were friendly people. We had fun when we worked on music.
If Rockin' Reggie showed up, we'd get him an amp. Ideas flew so fast and furiously that it was a blur who thought of what.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:40 pm

Thank you very much. It doesn't get better than hearing the truth from someone who was there for it all. I always felt Wagner had more input on My Stars and I think championed as much on this forum so I will gladly eat those words.

It's funny what you said about being friends and being uncredited. Wagner laments the same in his book about "I Love The Dead" and seeing Ezrin's name on the credits. He states he sold his credit for 6K and Ezrin told him the song was going to be credited only to Alice. When he got the album he was shocked saw Ezrin's name also listed. He said it cost him a small fortune of royalties over his lifetime but that he harbored no hard feelings.

thanks again.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:07 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:40 pm
Thank you very much. It doesn't get better than hearing the truth from someone who was there for it all. I always felt Wagner had more input on My Stars and I think championed as much on this forum so I will gladly eat those words.

It's funny what you said about being friends and being uncredited. Wagner laments the same in his book about "I Love The Dead" and seeing Ezrin's name on the credits. He states he sold his credit for 6K and Ezrin told him the song was going to be credited only to Alice. When he got the album he was shocked saw Ezrin's name also listed. He said it cost him a small fortune of royalties over his lifetime but that he harbored no hard feelings.

thanks again.
If Wagner got 6K for his song-writing, I'm not sure that he missed out on a small fortune. That song and "Sick Things" weren't the most radio friendly on that album.
Blue Coupe and friends re-recorded "I Love the Dead" at Electric Lady for Scorsese's Vinyl HBO series.