Tribute Bands

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Tribute Bands

Post by Gilles27 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:43 am

Hi Dennis, The question about a Swedish band called Billion Dollar Babies made me think about tributes. My opinion is that the Swedish band are doing no harm, in fact they list Alice Cooper as an influence so any fan of theirs will almost certainly spend some money on AC music. I am aware of 3 or 4 Alice Cooper tributes who do their own version of the classic Alice shows with varying degrees of success.
What do you think of them Dennis? Are they wasting time that could be spent coming up with their own songs and show, or are they a great marketing tool that helps to remind people of the greatness of Alice Cooper?
Time is getting closer

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Tribute Bands

Post by Dreary » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:16 pm

Gilles27 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:43 am
Hi Dennis, The question about a Swedish band called Billion Dollar Babies made me think about tributes. My opinion is that the Swedish band are doing no harm, in fact they list Alice Cooper as an influence so any fan of theirs will almost certainly spend some money on AC music. I am aware of 3 or 4 Alice Cooper tributes who do their own version of the classic Alice shows with varying degrees of success.
What do you think of them Dennis? Are they wasting time that could be spent coming up with their own songs and show, or are they a great marketing tool that helps to remind people of the greatness of Alice Cooper?
I do encourage bands to create their own original music and style. The Swedish band looks like they've evolved in that direction. They don't look or sound like a tribute band, so is it okay to use another bands name just because you say you like them?
As for what I think of actual tribute bands, there seems to be an Alice Cooper tribute band in every city. I take it as a compliment. Because of the makeup and signature props, Alice is relatively easy to imitate.
My only problem with tribute bands is, when clubs were open (pre-pandemic), tribute bands were being hired more often and making more money than bands that were doing their own original music. I even got stung by that at The Chance in Poughkeepsie, New York. They hired a tribute band to open for the Dennis Dunaway Project. When the time came for us to go on stage, the tribute band kept playing because the club owner told them to. That went on and on until it became apparent that the owner wanted them to finish the night and bump us. I blew up and demanded that they end their set.
DDP played and the owner said, Wow, I didn't know you guys were that good, and he invited us back. I've never set foot in that joint again.
Despite that, I've seen a few Alice Cooper tribute acts and they all look like they're having fun.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:06 pm

A one off like a band performing Pretties For You live O can live with. Someone dressing up like Alice and performing his and the band's songs I find pretty pathetic. I don't know what is worse being in a tribute band or going to watch one. Go buy the records and close your eyes if you want the experience.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:51 pm

Dreary wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:16 pm
Gilles27 wrote:
I do encourage bands to create their own original music and style. The Swedish band looks like they've evolved in that direction. They don't look or sound like a tribute band, so is it okay to use another bands name just because you say you like them?
As for what I think of actual tribute bands, there seems to be an Alice Cooper tribute band in every city. I take it as a compliment. Because of the makeup and signature props, Alice is relatively easy to imitate.
My only problem with tribute bands is, when clubs were open (pre-pandemic), tribute bands were being hired more often and making more money than bands that were doing their own original music. I even got stung by that at The Chance in Poughkeepsie, New York. They hired a tribute band to open for the Dennis Dunaway Project. When the time came for us to go on stage, the tribute band kept playing because the club owner told them to. That went on and on until it became apparent that the owner wanted them to finish the night and bump us. I blew up and demanded that they end their set.
DDP played and the owner said, Wow, I didn't know you guys were that good, and he invited us back. I've never set foot in that joint again.
Despite that, I've seen a few Alice Cooper tribute acts and they all look like they're having fun.
That's a shame because the owner probably didn't know who you were until you pointed out that was the reason why they were opening for DDP. I'm sure the only reason he might miss DDP is if you took Blue Coupe to his competition. Also, did DDP get paid a set fee or was it the Door?
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:09 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:51 pm
Dreary wrote:
Gilles27 wrote:
That's a shame because the owner probably didn't know who you were until you pointed out that was the reason why they were opening for DDP. I'm sure the only reason he might miss DDP is if you took Blue Coupe to his competition. Also, did DDP get paid a set fee or was it the Door?
I avoided door deals so perhaps they were planning to bump us without pay.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:57 am

Dreary wrote:
Gilles27 wrote:
That Swedish band always played their own stuff, i remember them being on MySpace when i was, that’s how long ago they have been doing it!

There is no harm in tribute bands if the audience and the people doing it are having fun, especially for bands that obviously aren’t going anymore like the Doors.

The problem with a lot of original bands is they aren’t very good, but sadly the gig circuit doesn’t allow them to get any better as so many venues play it safe, as they know a lot of people like the familiarity of something they have heard before and will turn up.

Maybe when gigs start up again, some new bands will change that.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:24 pm

Dreary wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:09 am
That would have been my next question. Thank you! :clap:
I've read that Chuck Berry wanted cash in hand before he hit the stage with a pick-up Band.
I believe that The Boss & E Street was one of 'em.
Just showed up in his Caddy with guitar in hand. :8):
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:56 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:24 pm
Dreary wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:09 am
That would have been my next question. Thank you! :clap:
I've read that Chuck Berry wanted cash in hand before he hit the stage with a pick-up Band.
I believe that The Boss & E Street was one of 'em.
Just showed up in his Caddy with guitar in hand. :8):
The Alice Cooper group did that as well. The only time it didn't work was in Chicago when the big guys started flashing guns.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:46 pm

I have never seen the attraction of tribute bands for any band that is still active. Even then im still not sold on it. As dennis says, tribute bands get paid a fortune considering what they do. I had it some years ago at work everyone all of a sudden loved AC/DC (iron man i guess) and they went to see a tribute act (about 20 of them) and they paid £30 a ticket!!!! for a tribute band!!! I have seen 4 actual proper bands on a bill and only paid £15 how the hell do tribute bands make that kind of money. A very, very sad state of affairs.