The Doors

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Logan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

The Doors

Post by Logan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:12 pm

Have a few Doors questions. I heard some of the influences on your earlier albums and often read that Alice and Glen hung out w/ Jim Morrison a bit. Also the story of the seance that went amuck w/ Jim as well as the time Jim borrowed Glen’s sweater for the photoshoot of ‘Waiting For The Sun’ cover.

1. I never seen any photos in publications of Alice and Jim but often wonder are there any candid photos you have or seen of the band w/ The Doors from back in the day?

2. Alice mentioned being in the studio when The Doors where recording. Did you ever attend any of those studio rehearsals and if so what do you remember?

3. What is your impression of Morrison and were you surprised of his demise?

4. Did Morrison ever see you perform when you opened for The Doors and if so did he ever say anything?

5. Have you any other stories of Morrison other than the seance and Jim borrowings Glen’s sweater?

Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The Doors

Post by Dreary » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Logan wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:12 pm
Have a few Doors questions. I heard some of the influences on your earlier albums and often read that Alice and Glen hung out w/ Jim Morrison a bit. Also the story of the seance that went amuck w/ Jim as well as the time Jim borrowed Glen’s sweater for the photoshoot of ‘Waiting For The Sun’ cover.

1. I never seen any photos in publications of Alice and Jim but often wonder are there any candid photos you have or seen of the band w/ The Doors from back in the day?

2. Alice mentioned being in the studio when The Doors where recording. Did you ever attend any of those studio rehearsals and if so what do you remember?

3. What is your impression of Morrison and were you surprised of his demise?

4. Did Morrison ever see you perform when you opened for The Doors and if so did he ever say anything?

5. Have you any other stories of Morrison other than the seance and Jim borrowings Glen’s sweater?

Thanks
1. I've never seen any. First of all, it was Hollywood. It wasn't considered cool to take photos of celebrities in social settings. Secondly, we couldn't afford food let alone film and developing costs.
2. I was at the vocal session for "Unknown Soldier" while the firing squad section repeated over and over. It was exciting and repetitively boring at the same time. The most entertaining part was watching the Doors life-of-the-party girlfriends struggle to keep quiet.
3. Morrison was a yin-yang character, soft-spoken and nice, but he made sure that wherever he was, whether it was drunkenly balancing on the wall of the balcony of the Chateau Marmont overhanging Sunset Boulevard, sleeping on somebody's doorstep, or walking barefoot from Topanga Canyon to Hollywood, he intended to give people something to talk about.
Janice, Jimi, and Jim were all heart-breaking losses. It was a triple-slam shocker.
4. Alice Cooper and the Doors did three shows in one day at the Cheetah in Venice Beach. We hung out backstage but everybody had their girlfriends and all. "Good show" was what we'd say to each other. We became friends but didn't really talk about each other's music or shows. You had to be cool.
5. One night, Jim showed up at Thee Experience club in L.A. with a big body guard type guy. Jim sat down at a table in the center of the room and proceeded to read a book while the big guy stood watching over him. This went on for quite a while until the band (I can't recall who it was) ended their set. Then Jim flipped out and knocked the table over. The big guy hoisted him up over his shoulder and carried him out kicking and screaming. Hollywood regulars approvingly thought, there he goes again.