Management Contract

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Management Contract

Post by Cold Room » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 pm

I wonder if you recall the timeline of your coming under the band's management contract with Shep and Joe in 1968. Janice recalls that her parents went to LA to sign the contract (for underage Glen) in Sept of '68. I am sure at least a few other parents attended. However, Joe Greenberg recounts the story of him helping the band in getting the opening spot at the Newport Pop Festival in early August. Were they the bands' managers 'on a handshake' until the official contract was signed?
What you want and what you get are two different things

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Management Contract

Post by Dreary » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 am

I thought we had signed with Joe and Shep before the Newport Pop Fest, but I'm not positive. Yes, Glen's parents were at the signing of the management contracts at the band house on Quebec in the Hollywood Hills. So were Alice's parents and Michael Bruce's parents. Joe and Shep bought food for a nice dinner, of which the parents may not have gotten much of, due to the band moving in like a bunch of Jackals. Then the contract was laid out on a small table in the living room and a discussion ensued where Alice had convinced his parents that they had better sign. Glen's parents were much more reluctant saying they had hooped that Glen would choose a more reliable career at Air Research where his dad, and Alice's dad worked. But Glen made it clear that he wasn't cut out for a 9 to 5 job, so his parents reluctantly signed. Michael had the most questions, but was for signing in the end, and his mom and dad went along with that. I was of age to sign but I had questions like, what if they don't support us in the long run? And what it boiled down to is that, even though none of us knew what we were doing, we all had a common goal, and we needed managers and they needed us.
As for the Newport Pop Festival, they were famous for their Jazz Festivals but needed more to keep going, so they hosted a Pop Festival. We weren't even on the bill but Joe drove us up to the back gate and the security guard asked who we were. Joe said, who's on your list? The guard said, The Joseph Cotton Blues Band, and Joe said, that's us. The guard let us through and we played the show.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:47 am

Dreary wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 am
I thought we had signed with Joe and Shep before the Newport Pop Fest, but I'm not positive. Yes, Glen's parents were at the signing of the management contracts at the band house on Quebec in the Hollywood Hills. So were Alice's parents and Michael Bruce's parents. Joe and Shep bought food for a nice dinner, of which the parents may not have gotten much of, due to the band moving in like a bunch of Jackals. Then the contract was laid out on a small table in the living room and a discussion ensued where Alice had convinced his parents that they had better sign. Glen's parents were much more reluctant saying they had hooped that Glen would choose a more reliable career at Air Research where his dad, and Alice's dad worked. But Glen made it clear that he wasn't cut out for a 9 to 5 job, so his parents reluctantly signed. Michael had the most questions, but was for signing in the end, and his mom and dad went along with that. I was of age to sign but I had questions like, what if they don't support us in the long run? And what it boiled down to is that, even though none of us knew what we were doing, we all had a common goal, and we needed managers and they needed us.
As for the Newport Pop Festival, they were famous for their Jazz Festivals but needed more to keep going, so they hosted a Pop Festival. We weren't even on the bill but Joe drove us up to the back gate and the security guard asked who we were. Joe said, who's on your list? The guard said, The Joseph Cotton Blues Band, and Joe said, that's us. The guard let us through and we played the show.
That is a Great story :laugh: :laugh: . Joe truly had Big Brass Balls :clap: :rock: !
"I need everything the world owes me..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 am

Hi Dennis,

Was wondering if Cindy was on the payroll considering how much she contributed to the band's look amongst other things.

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:34 pm

Dreary wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 am
Glen's parents were much more reluctant saying they had hooped that Glen would choose a more reliable career at Air Research where his dad, and Alice's dad worked. But Glen made it clear that he wasn't cut out for a 9 to 5 job, so his parents reluctantly signed. Michael had the most questions, but was for signing in the end, and his mom and dad went along with that.
The family story goes that mom would continue to remind Glen when it was time to enroll at Glendale Community College. (Glen would eventually work with his dad, many years later. :) ).
What you want and what you get are two different things

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:05 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 am
Hi Dennis,

Was wondering if Cindy was on the payroll considering how much she contributed to the band's look amongst other things.
Every Blue Moon, Joe and Shep would give Cindy a modest check or a gift. They accommodated some of her travel expenses on tour, even though she maintained the costumes, was the Dancing Tooth, and she stayed in my room. Oh, the expressions we saw on the faces of hotel clerks when she checked in as Miss Smith.