Sun Arise

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Sun Arise

Post by Gilles27 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:23 am

Hi Dennis. I'm a huge fan of yours. I was telling my wife recently how I used to use a couple of pieces of track for my HotWheels cars as a pretend bass and I'd play along to AC records in my bedroom, doing your high kicks. That Hot Wheels track never went out of tune you know? :rock: :)

I've always wondered about the song Sun Arise. Rolf Harris was famous here in the UK as a children's tv presenter and artist, although I think he's currently in prison for the sexual assault of underage girls. The song was very familiar to me before I heard your version - which I love.

Was Rolf Harris famous in the US too? How did you come to do that song?

Also, did you ever meet Rolf, or hear what he thought of your version?
Time is getting closer

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Sun Arise

Post by Dreary » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:10 pm

"Tie Me Kangaroo Down" was a hit in the US. Alice and I thought it was hip to be familiar with the B-Sides of records. We discovered "Sun Arise" right after we first met in high school.
I never met Harris but I think I read an interview where he said he liked our version.
The drone of the song sounded powerful through loud amps, as opposed to the studio version which required lower volumes to avoid bleeding into other microphones.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:08 am

Sun Arise was actually an A side in the US.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:44 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:08 am
Sun Arise was actually an A side in the US.
Oops! I guess my B-Side hipness didn't apply to "Sun Arise" which means we fell in love with it as an A-Side.