sense of finality

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

PFOLGORE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

sense of finality

Post by PFOLGORE » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:10 pm

Dennis,

After the last tour, I believe the final stop was Brazil, was there ever a moment when the whole band was together, that you sensed that things never may be the same again and that you would never all be together again as a complete group? What was the mood after the final show?

Also in your book (great book by the way) I got the sense that , after Muscle of Love, there was a real sense of uncertainty on whether the group would reunite and continue performing and creating together. I think Alice may have had his own more concrete plans mapped out for the future but was not communicating his intentions clearly to the rest of group leaving you guys in limbo for a year or two as far as knowing the future of the group. Had the breakup been a little more final, sooner and transparent do you feel that yourself and remaining members could have regrouped sooner and carried some of the momentum from your zenith as the Alice Cooper Band?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: sense of finality

Post by Dreary » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:23 pm

PFOLGORE wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:10 pm
Dennis,

After the last tour, I believe the final stop was Brazil, was there ever a moment when the whole band was together, that you sensed that things never may be the same again and that you would never all be together again as a complete group? What was the mood after the final show?

Also in your book (great book by the way) I got the sense that , after Muscle of Love, there was a real sense of uncertainty on whether the group would reunite and continue performing and creating together. I think Alice may have had his own more concrete plans mapped out for the future but was not communicating his intentions clearly to the rest of group leaving you guys in limbo for a year or two as far as knowing the future of the group. Had the breakup been a little more final, sooner and transparent do you feel that yourself and remaining members could have regrouped sooner and carried some of the momentum from your zenith as the Alice Cooper Band?
As far as we knew, Rio was just a highlight in our ongoing adventure. When we got back to America, the only uncertainty was due to a severe lack of communication with our singer and our managers. If I had known that Rio was our final show, I'm sure my life would have gone into the same kind of a tail-spin.
Michael, Neal, and I did regroup a lot sooner than it seems. We were writing songs for the next Alice Cooper album. But that got delayed and further delayed.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:30 am

And this were the songs for the Battle Axe album???

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:39 am

mestreech wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:30 am
And this were the songs for the Battle Axe album???
Yes, Battle Axe.

PFOLGORE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by PFOLGORE » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:04 am

It is my understanding that Alice Cooper Goes to Hell was the contractual fulfillment for the last Album that the Alice Cooper group owed Warner Brothers. Obviously, Alice was the only member of the original group to play on it. So were the rest of you party to that contract, or was the contract something between Warner Brothers and your management? It most likely would have been a much better Album with you guys involved.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:35 pm

PFOLGORE wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:04 am
It is my understanding that Alice Cooper Goes to Hell was the contractual fulfillment for the last Album that the Alice Cooper group owed Warner Brothers. Obviously, Alice was the only member of the original group to play on it. So were the rest of you party to that contract, or was the contract something between Warner Brothers and your management? It most likely would have been a much better Album with you guys involved.
There was a clause in our Warner Bros. contract that would allow us to record a soundtrack with another label. That clause was used for Welcome To My Nightmare rather than the group, even though Atlantic was affiliated with Warner Bros. That's why the WTMN film was created. As for Goes To Hell, I thought that was under the new contract. I'd have to dig out the old contract, but at that time, I was too drained, emotionally and financially, to fight over it, so it wouldn't have made much difference. I felt that we all started as friends and we should keep it that way.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Dreary wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:35 pm
There was a clause in our Warner Bros. contract that would allow us to record a soundtrack with another label. That clause was used for Welcome To My Nightmare rather than the group, even though Atlantic was affiliated with Warner Bros. That's why the WTMN film was created. As for Goes To Hell, I thought that was under the new contract. I'd have to dig out the old contract, but at that time, I was too drained, emotionally and financially, to fight over it, so it wouldn't have made much difference. I felt that we all started as friends and we should keep it that way.
Thank you very much for your efforts in answering our questions, Dennis. I previously knew about Welcome To My Nightmare being recorded and released as a soundtrack album, but not about that clause in the Group's contract with WB. I too would like to know whether Goes To Hell was either under the old contract or a new one, as I've also read that either Muscle of Love or Welcome To My Nightmare was the last album under the old contract.

Ted

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:57 pm

Ted Sallis wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm
Dreary wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:35 pm
Thank you very much for your efforts in answering our questions, Dennis. I previously knew about Welcome To My Nightmare being recorded and released as a soundtrack album, but not about that clause in the Group's contract with WB. I too would like to know whether Goes To Hell was either under the old contract or a new one, as I've also read that either Muscle of Love or Welcome To My Nightmare was the last album under the old contract.

Ted
I always understood, as DD says, that WTMN was the movie clause album and 'Greatest Hits' was the last album under the original band contract, with 'Goes To Hell' under a new 'solo' contact.