favorite Cover tunes played in the 60's

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

favorite Cover tunes played in the 60's

Post by rtbuck » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:02 am

I'm really enjoying reading these questions & answers, so thanks a million for taking the time! Just curious...Back in the 1960's what were some of your favorite tunes to cover live? I've always been one to love to know what songs influence bands... Thank You Dennis!

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: favorite Cover tunes played in the 60's

Post by Dreary » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:17 am

For us, it was all about the British Invasion, so lots of Stones, Kinks, Yardbirds, Who, Pretty Things, Animals, etc. But we favored album cuts and B-Sides, which gave audiences the illusion that we were more original than most cover bands. Phoenix had quite a few good bands. The Precious Few favored the Byrds, the Vibratos had the Beatles down, and the Pendletons billed themselves as the American Rolling Stones, and we saw that as a challenge.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:12 am

Dreary wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:17 am
For us, it was all about the British Invasion, so lots of Stones, Kinks, Yardbirds, Who, Pretty Things, Animals, etc. But we favored album cuts and B-Sides, which gave audiences the illusion that we were more original than most cover bands. Phoenix had quite a few good bands. The Precious Few favored the Byrds, the Vibratos had the Beatles down, and the Pendletons billed themselves as the American Rolling Stones, and we saw that as a challenge.
I had been thinking of asking You this question-any songs in particular that all of You enjoyed performing?
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:03 pm

We enjoyed playing Yardbirds songs, especially the ones with "rave ups" because we would go crazy on stage. We also liked "East West" because we could improvise a lot.
We only covered songs that we all loved so I can't recall ever playing anything I didn't have fun playing.
That's also true for our originals. I still enjoy playing them.