G.B. solos

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

G.B. solos

Post by tuneylune » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:58 am

Hello Mr Dunaway,

Thank You for all the answers to the many questions, quite a few I have wondered about myself.

Remember reading in Your book and TLACOAC Box Set how You felt the solo in "Ballad of Dwight Fry" was Your favorite by Glen. I'm rather fond of it as well, so eerie!

Any other solos that come close to "BODF"?

I really like the ones in "Reflected", "Laughing at Me " (the final bit towards the end is so melancholy), "Caught in a Dream", "Be My Lover", "Halo of Flies", "Blue Turk" and "I can only give Her Me".

Thanks Very Much
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: G.B. solos

Post by Dreary » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:43 pm

There are so many great GB solos. I love "Living".
I agree with all of the songs that you listed, but I'm not familiar with "I can only give Her Me". Is that from Virgin?
I also like things that GB played that weren't solos, like the final note on "Is It My Body" where he plays a low note that creeps up to pitch in a nice resolve. He worked that out with me.
Killer is another favorite, for both GB & Michael, especially the intro (best enjoyed with headphones).

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Actually, I was thinking of "I Wonder Who's Loving Her Now". Not paying attention.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:37 pm

We recorded "Wonder Who's Loving Her Now" at a tiny studio in Phoenix. The walls were covered with burlap so we called it Gunny Sack Studios. Toodie and some other girls showed up with some beer. We thought it would be a good idea to drink it before we recorded, but the tempo fluctuation on the song says different.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:31 pm

Dreary wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:37 pm
We thought it would be a good idea to drink it before we recorded, but the tempo fluctuation on the song says different.
Ha! I always thought that was because of the dodgy bootleg pressing I had!

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Babysquid wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:31 pm
Dreary wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:37 pm
We thought it would be a good idea to drink it before we recorded, but the tempo fluctuation on the song says different.
Ha! I always thought that was because of the dodgy bootleg pressing I had!
I think we even tried to record it again because of the tempo speed-up, but the beer made that attempt even worse. Ironically, the beer drinking rock stars were cheap dates at the time.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 am

I always felt that the solo on “Teenage Lament” was very “Glenish.” The note bending and feel always reminded me of the playing on “Dwight Frye.” Also, “Living” should be considered a psychedelic nugget, up there with The Chocolate Watchband, Bubble Puppy, The Electric Prunes, etc.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:11 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 am
I always felt that the solo on “Teenage Lament” was very “Glenish.” The note bending and feel always reminded me of the playing on “Dwight Frye.” Also, “Living” should be considered a psychedelic nugget, up there with The Chocolate Watchband, Bubble Puppy, The Electric Prunes, etc.
I think that solo was Mick Mashbir. Michael complained about too many " creamy " solos on Muscle Of Love in his book.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:00 pm

“I think that solo was Mick Mashbir. Michael complained about too many " creamy " solos on Muscle Of Love in his book.”
[/quote]
I always assumed it wasn’t Glen due to his condition at the time, but it reminded me of his style. I wonder what other solos on the album Michael considered “creamy.”

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:27 pm

pitkin88 wrote: “I think that solo was Mick Mashbir. Michael complained about too many " creamy " solos on Muscle Of Love in his book.”
Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:00 pm
I always assumed it wasn’t Glen due to his condition at the time, but it reminded me of his style. I wonder what other solos on the album Michael considered “creamy.”
Michael Bruce played the guitar solo on Teenage Lament '74. In his book, MB referred to Working Up a Sweat as having a lot of creamy guitar parts, or solos.

Ted

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:26 pm

Ted Sallis wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:27 pm
pitkin88 wrote: “I think that solo was Mick Mashbir. Michael complained about too many " creamy " solos on Muscle Of Love in his book.”
Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:00 pm
[/quote

Michael Bruce played the guitar solo on Teenage Lament '74. In his book, MB referred to Working Up a Sweat as having a lot of creamy guitar parts, or solos.

Ted
Thanks, I didn’t know it was Michael who did that cool solo on TL ‘74. Didn’t he also solo (along with Mick M) on Hard Hearted Alice? Great playing on that one, too.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:32 pm

The Working Up a Sweat and Big Apple Dreamin solos were played by Dick Wagner.

Mick Mashbir traded solos with Michael on Hard Hearted Alice.

Mick Mashbir also played the solos on Never Been Sold Before and Woman Machine.

Teenage Lament as has been mentioned was played by Michael Bruce, he even plays it in the promo film which you can see here
https://youtu.be/mTUrDGcJQUo
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:55 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:32 pm
The Working Up a Sweat and Big Apple Dreamin solos were played by Dick Wagner.

Mick Mashbir traded solos with Michael on Hard Hearted Alice.

Mick Mashbir also played the solos on Never Been Sold Before and Woman Machine.

Teenage Lament as has been mentioned was played

by Michael Bruce, he even plays it in the promo film which you can see here
https://youtu.be/mTUrDGcJQUo
Great. Thanks