Medicine Ball Caravan

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Medicine Ball Caravan

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:17 pm

Hi Dennis,

Thank you again for doing this. Wealth of information!

Can you tell us a little about Medicene Ball Caravan?

1) You stood out like a sore thumb on the bill. Do you remember how you got the gig.
2) Where other songs filmed or just Black Juju?
3) It's such a great performance and yet the album features the studio song with fake applause tacked on. What happened there?
4) Also I believe it's the 50th anniversary of LITD so congratulations on the first masterpiece.

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Re: Medicine Ball Caravan

Post by Cold Room » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:53 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:17 pm
Hi Dennis,
4) Also I believe it's the 50th anniversary of LITD so congratulations on the first masterpiece.

:) :) :) LITD = 'First Masterpiece' ???
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.”- Plato

Of course Brigs Jones and myself would find ourselves landing in that knowledge and ignorance spectrum, favoring the album 'Pretties for You' as a masterpiece. (I am sure if Brigs were here....he'd have a witty pun to add to this discussion.) :laugh:
What you want and what you get are two different things

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:20 pm

Yes, we stood out on that bill, but we stood out on most any bill in those days. I can only guess that good management, and Hot Tuna, had a lot to do with our inclusion. Jefferson Airplane had supported us ever since Pretties For You.
The show took place in front of the National Archives building in Washington, D.C. Owsley supplied the P.A. and had previously sworn that we would never be allowed to use his P.A. again - following our shows with the Stooges at the Fillmore West when Iggy had squashed a salmon into a stage monitor and Owsley blamed us.
And so we stood behind the Great Medicine Ball Caravan stage all tuned up for hours until Hot Tuna finally convinced Owsley to let us use his P.A. by telling him that they would let us use their amps. Owsley was fully aware of how protective Hot Tuna were about their own equipment. And so he agreed.
Our set was well received until we launched our feather storm. Then Owsley tried to come on stage to collect his microphones. But he was stopped, so he went and pulled the main power plug.
That's why we used the live studio take, and why the final note, from the actual show, has Neal's cymbal swell and no amplifiers.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:19 pm

Here is video of Black Juju from the film recorded in Washington DC on August 25th 1970
https://youtu.be/jF-qxdZzDvw
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:12 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:19 pm
Here is video of Black Juju from the film recorded in Washington DC on August 25th 1970
https://youtu.be/jF-qxdZzDvw
Thanks for showing this, Steven-neat seeing Glen use the spoon on the Guitar neck.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:57 pm

We were all tuned up and ready to play in the afternoon, but the Owsley issue kept us waiting until that night.