Bass mix

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

nrc
Trash
Trash

Bass mix

Post by nrc » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:32 pm

This is great. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

I love your bass playing. It adds a style to the original group that I really don't hear elsewhere. The original band recordings benefit from the fact that your bass is pretty prominent in the mix relative to a lot of contemporary recordings. Was this something you had to fight for?

As a follow-up: Because your playing was such a feature of the original group's recordings, I was kind of surprised that your playing didn't seem to be featured on the Battle Ax album. Did you get that sense?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Bass mix

Post by Dreary » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:14 am

Thanks for the compliments. Bob Ezrin learned how to record bass from his boss Jack Richardson who, when asked about what made a great producer, would say, "Bass is what separates the mice from the men." Personally, I see it as a matter of preference - do you want a big low resonating bass under the rest of the sounds, or are you willing to give that up for a punchy bass sound. When it's boomier, you often lose notes. And then there are recordings that manage to tap the best of both approaches, especially with the advance of technology. But it still comes down to separating the mice from the men. - DD